smoky xantia 2.1td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Just says there is a a solenoid valve that controls it, might be able to plug/disconnect the vac pipe to it!
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

h2ocooler wrote:Just says there is a a solenoid valve that controls it, might be able to plug/disconnect the vac pipe to it!
cheers, got to be worth a try i will have a look in the morning to see if i can disconnect it.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

disconected the EGR valve and it seems to have cured it :)
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Cool, AFIK they are only for emissions, try it with it off for a while and if its ok just re connect it for the MOT if it needs it.
2.1td
My Cars:

Post by 2.1td »

Could be a crappy load of diesel. Try filling your tank from a known good source and pop in some injector cleaner too. Then find a nice quiet, straight road and give it some stick. Make sure no one is behind to lose in the smog! Worth a try.:lol:
Be careful!
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

definatly think that it's the EGV valve it's been Disconnected for a few days now and it's been running clean and loads of power, i tried connecting it again and within a few minutes was smoking again so i think i'll just leave it Disconnected, not sure if it's causing any other problems as the car seems to hang on to the revs when you change gear, i'm thinking of taking the car to get the faults read to see if it shows something up.... :)
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

The EGR valve just recycles exhaust gas into the cylinders to reduce the amount of oxygen in the incoming air, supposed to reduce sulphur emissions, but when they get stuck you dont get enough oxygen so they lose power and produce black smoke, loads of Delicia drivers have them bypassed and only reconnect them for the MOT if it need it. Not too sure how the system works on Xantias but think it uses vac form the inlet manifold to open the valve. Could be the EGR valve gets week and opens too early.
deian

Post by deian »

reading the previous post logic would tell me to check the vacuum pipe going from the inlet manifold to the EGR valve

depending on how the valve works, i guess you could block or clean the vacuum pipe to get the deisred effect, failing that idea h2ocooler's suggestion of a weak valve could well be it.

funny thing is, my car produces no smoke at all (maybe a little but no1 has ever noticed, even when foot is on the floot at 4500rpm), maybe my car does the oposite to yours?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

AndersDK wrote:As the over-fuelling is intermittent it could be gunked up intercooler pressure signal pipe to the fuel enricher device.
The 2.1 has the Lucas 'fly by wire' EPIC pump fitted. I can't find any sort of pressure sensor on mine. The drawing shows one but I can't find it. If anyone knows where it is I would like to know please.

I think the EGR is normally closed so disconnecting the vacuum pipe should stop it from opening. If t he valve is not closing fully you will have to find a way of blanking it off.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless