Help on Haynes manual xantia Hdi damper pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caque
My Cars:

Help on Haynes manual xantia Hdi damper pulley

Post by caque »

Hello
Sorry in advance if I use improper technical terms, I'm French and translating is not to easy, and thanks in advance for any help.

Car is a Xantia 2.0 hdi 99 (engine DW10ATED) model, 120 000 something kms.

I'd like to change the timing belt. I need to remove the "damper" pulley or crankshaft pulley.

According to the Haynes manual (French translated version), there are 2 possible types of pulleys.
One is marked with green paint, the other is not.

I do have a green paint dot on my pulley.

According to the Haynes, one type of pulley has a larger key shaft so the engine must be set BEFORE removing the pulley.
The other is normal.

The trouble is that in translating from English fo French they made some mistake / confusion, so you don't know which is which :
green paint = larger key shaft or green paint = normal pulley ?

To add confusion, Haynes is the only manual mentioning this green paint issue.
The French "Revue Technique" for this model doesn't mention this.

Thanks in advance.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bonjour Caque - et bien venue 8)

To be honest : forget about the crank pulley for timing purpose.

Instead use the timing hole for the flywheel under the starter motor. It is there - believe me. It may be hard to find - but then remove the starter motor. In this hole you insert an 8mm bolt or rod into the flywheel - to lock the flywheel in its timed position.

The reason is that the rubber on the crank pulley has a very nasty habit of breaking up - then allowing the outer rim on the pulley to move - relative to the axle part.
Result : a havock silly timing - even though it seems correct by the book.

Bonne chance :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
caque
My Cars:

Post by caque »

Thanks for the quick answer.
I've seen the timing hole in the flywheel, but putting a rod in it is another matter :roll:
Sometimes you wish you could have the design engineers in front of you to explain your views about maintenance and accessibility in chosen words :evil:
I'll follow your advice and remove the starter motor.

So what I should do is forget about this green paint mess and time the engine before removing the pulley.

Best regards
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes - time (lock) the engine before removing the pulley.

Try use a couple of minutes bending up a piece of 8mm rod - smartly enough to reach behind the starter motor and into the timing hole.
You local hardware store may have threaded rods in 8mm - perfect for making up a timing tool.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image