XantiaTD Rev Counter Still Not Working With Pics NOW SORTED.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Malcolm

Just checked today when the engines cold the cables tight and lose when hot so somebody has obviously tampered with it. I bet it was due to poor starting when the glow plugs needed replacing as i mentioned in another post previously.

Thanks for your help
And everybody else who posted Here

Pete.........................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Certainly on the Roto-diesel pump the cold start cable simply operates an electrical switch which in turn operates an electrical device which advances the timing. The switch is on or off - and while I suppose the adjustment might marginally affect the time when the thing goes off as the cable expands this does not seem important .

The main thing is that when the engine is cold - the contacts meet, and when it warms up - the cable expands and releases the switch.

The switches are just on/off and not progressive.
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi agian Malcolm

Just a little question is the roto pump the lucas pump or am i getting things wrong here as mine is the bosh pump or do they both work the same im refering to the switch you just spoke about im a little confused :?

Pete......................
Drives
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Lucas / CAV / Roto-diesel - all the same - now Delphi??

Not sure how the device works on a Bosch - have a look at the arm at the end of the cable - does it seem to operate an electrical switch? if so if there are only a couple of wires, the switch is small and has a free and positive action would suggest a simple on / off action. Best to meter it and look at the resistance!
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Jeremy and Malcolm

Please correct me me if im wrong here im saying this in laymans terms, the cable that works the fast idle lever is operated by a thermostatic sensor screwed into the bottom of the fuel filter/thermostat housing so when the engine is cold pulls the cable/fast idle lever in then when hot lets it off. That is working fine but i cant see any wire,s attached to it anywhere. Then i read in the haynes manual (yes ive got one) as mine is a pre 1997 model it has no ecu so thats what i think your refering to as models after this date has the ecu system your talking about were mine has not its a 95 m reg car.

if im wrong please let me know.

thanks for all your help

Pete..................
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i never remember which pump is what,but i know one of the pumps has a set of contacts on the front which is operated by the mechanisum that brings the fast idle up on cold starting,this set of contacts are what Jeremy is refering to as a switch,one of my customers with a ZX 1.9D has this type of pump and it used to smoke a lot,it was also as flat as a pancacke to drive,i found the contacts where permanently closed due to being stuck together,after cleaning and adjusting it was a completly differant car to drive,no smoke and plenty of get up and go,as Jeremy said these contacts conect the NEGATIVE conection to a servo wich advances and retards the pump timing for cold to hot running
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for that well its not the bosch pump that has that setup (unless i missed somthing) it might be the lucas but ive never seen a zx engine so i really couldent comment on that. Are the contacts actually on the pump itself becouse there,s no wires or anything attached to mine only for the stop solenoid.

Pete...................
Drives
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the contacts are atached inbetween the fast idle lever and a bracket,one contact is on the lever and the other is on the bracket,and the servo is a canister shape sticking out of the pump body towards the front of the car
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The contacts I have in mind are on the Roto-diesel pumps from 1987 or so and first fitted to the TD engines. Our 94 ZX has a similar one. I'm not sure about Bosch.
jeremy
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Malcolm

Ive just had a look in my Haynes manual and ive just seen a pic of the contacts underneath the fast idle lever and its on the lucas pump but i cant see one on the bosch pump.

Pete............................
Drives