Changing the thermostat ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

Changing the thermostat ?

Post by caveman_si »

How often do you change the thermostat?? assuming it not broke

I just ask as im doing a coolant change and flush in the next few day and wonder whether its worth getting a new thermostat at the same time. Some preventative maintnance. The current thermostat was changed 2 yrs ago when i did the last coolant change and has been working fine. so i dont have to change it, but just wondering if i should.

cheers si
406 lx 1.9td estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My bet that most cars never get the thermostat replaced during their useful life.
They are mechanical components that wear - though slowly.
After 10 years most thermostats will no longer close fully - then causing a longer warm up period for the engine - i.e. its slower to get the demister effective during wintertime.

But 2 years should not be a problem. That would be waste unless you have indications of a problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I would'nt bother changing it if there is no current problem with your cooling system such as overheating. As they say if it aint broke dont fix it.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Cheers guys

Just thought best that i check about replacing it since its coming out anyway. Guess i'll be saving my money and buying an icecream instead.
406 lx 1.9td estate
joshm

Post by joshm »

I just changed mine (as you may see in another thread, it didn't go so smoothly!). It looks like it had never been changed before, and the car is ~15 years old. The chances are that it was still working ok but I wasn't going to take any risks. Like everyone else says, no point unless there is a cooling problem, especially since it was done 2 years ago.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

When I changed mine, some 2-3 years ago. I also changed the rad thermostat-sender and my Radiator cap as my fans rarely ever came on. They cut in much earlier now.. :)

Maybe you would like to consider doing the same next time you change your thermo. All the parts were cheap and easy to swop over.. I used loads of copper grease on the new ones in case there's a 'next time' .. :roll: :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
dancingdog777
My Cars:

Post by dancingdog777 »

I've just spent 4 hours trying to change the !?!?!? thermostat on my 205 GRD. Wish I'd known about the need to remove that pesky circlip! A previous owner had used a blue adhesive as well as a gasket, and most of that time was taken trying to scrape the old gasket off! In the end I didn't change the thermostat cos I can't get the circlip off, though it needs doing cos the old one has failed, luckily in the open position. Guess I'll get our local visiting mechanic to do it, though I was trying to save money!
droylsden dave
My Cars:

Post by droylsden dave »

Ive got a p reg 406 and noticed doing a 45 mile trip at a time,on mway the temp guage is under 80. Around 75. I aint good with cars, but was wondering if this is a little low? But it does go up when around town or stuck in traffic.

Any advice would be appreciated.
dancingdog777
My Cars:

Post by dancingdog777 »

Provided the needle doesn't go too far towards the red section you've no worries. On a hot day, or when towing, it might go a bit further but if it stays out of the red you need't worry. If you think it's getting a bit too close to the red section put the heater on full with the booster motor on full, because the heater acts like a second radiator.