Driveshaft Roller bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

just to update i have now found a good sued driveshaft for £25 that i shall pick up tomorrow and try and fit on wednesday.

Any pitfalls i may encounter that anyone who has done the job before could point out at all??

Im guessing as its already in bits i can just undo the hub nut retainer and hub nut from the wheel end of the driveshaft, push it out and then fitting of newer item is reverse of removal??

i guess this means ill have a sapre CVboot for the gearbox end of the driveshaft but ill not bother fitting it unless the used one lokoe bad but from what ive been told they are pretty good nick and just need a clean :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

let us know how you get on KP

£25 is good..
my breakers wanted £40 + vat for off the shelf..

with car off ground on stands.

Remove gearbox oil, undo and seperate lower ball joint. Apply brakes and undo hub nut.pull strut and hub off end of shaft, and pull shaft from box..

John
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

sorry.. undo hub nut THEN seperate lower outer joint
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jgra1 wrote:sorry.. undo hub nut THEN seperate lower outer joint
It is in fact easier to loosen the strut clamp on the hub - and pull up the strut. The lower balljoint is too easy to damage :(
Most likelt it will be necessary to remove the droplink too.

BTW the hubnut will be a 35mm socket. And it is VERY tight :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

your saying that all of the needle bearings have escaped, not one has been stuck in the grease?? surely not...

i know wot u mean i had the large rollers on the end of a zx triax joint slide off and release the needle bearings but they stuck to the grease which stopped the getting away.

however, it is a messy fidly job putting them back in so its probo best to source a new or second hand drive shaft....... especially as the chances ae you will miss one or two of the needle bearings.....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Anders
It is in fact easier to loosen the strut clamp on the hub - and pull up the strut. The lower balljoint is too easy to damage
I dont see how this will allow the hub to come out enough to get the shaft out.. I did mine on Saturday.. I used some grease on the splitter fork and it was ok on the rubber boot... Didnt need to do anything else.. both shafts out in 30 mins ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jgra1 wrote:Anders
It is in fact easier to loosen the strut clamp on the hub - and pull up the strut. The lower balljoint is too easy to damage
I dont see how this will allow the hub to come out enough to get the shaft out.. I did mine on Saturday.. I used some grease on the splitter fork and it was ok on the rubber boot... Didnt need to do anything else.. both shafts out in 30 mins ;)
Might be because you never tried it my way ... :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why dont you just give GSF a call they sell re/con drive shafts and i think there around £56 squideish + the governments bit,they will know exactly which shaft you need,also im sure you cant buy the needle roller bearings individualy
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Tried local GSf, they could only get me a new one which was more like £65+daylight robbery tax :(

I ths far have the drop link off, the hub off the wishbone and the hub nut is the last bit and ill be able to slide it off :)

Ill probably tary and take the CV boot off just to keep as a spare from the hub end as its only about 2yrs old iirc and loks in good nick other than road grime and see if GSF do indeed want it to recon it at all for a few quid :)

No bearings at all in the grease. i have a good feel around with the latex gloves on and there was just grease grease and more grease :(

Thanks for your advice by the way guys and girls(if there are any here ;) ) ill be tackling the job on wednesday and have put a few hours aside in the morn before high heat levels burn me off so i hope to complete by lunch really :)

Thanks again,
Will
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

KP wrote:I ths far have the drop link off, the hub off the wishbone and the hub nut is the last bit and ill be able to slide it off :)
I've found the ONLY way to undo the hub nut is through a steel wheel's opening with the weight of the car on the hub, ON THE GROUND [with FULL HYDRAULIC PRESSURE] - it's TOTALLY BLOODY TIGHT!!

Otherwise with everything else undone you'll be chasing the hub about the wheelarch and getting no purchase to undo the HIGHLY torqued nut. I recon you'll have to at least put the bottom balljoint back on...

Hub nut's the FIRST thing to undo with a job like this, not the last before pushing the driveshaft through the hub and out. IIRC there's 39 needle roller bearings on a 2.0 i Xm, although the mental scar is healing now and I may be suffereing from selective amnesia... :lol:

Andrew
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

andmcit wrote:
KP wrote:I ths far have the drop link off, the hub off the wishbone and the hub nut is the last bit and ill be able to slide it off :)
I've found the ONLY way to undo the hub nut is through a steel wheel's opening with the weight of the car on the hub, ON THE GROUND [with FULL HYDRAULIC PRESSURE] - it's TOTALLY BLOODY TIGHT!!

Otherwise with everything else undone you'll be chasing the hub about the wheelarch and getting no purchase to undo the HIGHLY torqued nut. I recon you'll have to at least put the bottom balljoint back on...

Hub nut's the FIRST thing to undo with a job like this, not the last before pushing the driveshaft through the hub and out. IIRC there's 39 needle roller bearings on a 2.0 i Xm, although the mental scar is healing now and I may be suffereing from selective amnesia... :lol:

Andrew
Absolutely.
The first job for me also is to loosen the hub nut with the car on it's wheels, in gear and the handbrake on. I don't see how you could get enough force onto it otherwise considering you usually need a hefty breaker bar and an extension tube.
I normally would use a short extension on the socket and support this on an axle stand to stop the lot levering off the nut. Similar set up to that used when undoing the crank bolt.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Might be because you never tried it my way ...
I think I see now.. a pivoting hub, once the strut is removed... ;)

Anders, cant you just be wrong sometimes :twisted: :lol:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jgra1 wrote:Anders, cant you just be wrong sometimes :twisted: :lol:
Thanks God I am - quite often 8)