Hi, back with a cam belt problem !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

Hi, back with a cam belt problem !

Post by Mosser »

Its taken me nearly a week to find my way to this site !!, i was on the old andyspares site about 9 months ago, but had to scrap my xantia due to the amount of things that went wrong on it come mot time,

I have been driving my wifes Alfa 156 since then, but have now bought myself a 1998 Synergie with the 2.0i XU10J2 (8 valve) engine on it,

I want to change the cam belt as its up at 104,000 miles, and i cant see any sign of it being replaced in the service history, but upon taking the cam covers off, it looks ok, but i will change it for peace of mind anyway,

The water pump is making a terrible noise and sounds like the bearing has gone, so i might as well change that at the same time, But the trouble is that i cant get a haynes manual for my car, and i cant find any info on the timing marks and the method of changing the cambelt on this engine, does anyone have any information that might help me on this ?, I believe the same engine is used in the XM and the early xantia's

Trouble is that i go on holiday with the family on monday morning and need to get this done before then, I have already removed the cam covers, lower pulley, drained the cooling system, but can anyone tell me where is best to get the cambelt, tensioner and water pump from ?, and what sort of cost it will be ?

I know this is a lot to ask, but with the water pump bearing the way it is, i dont think it will last till after our holiday

Any useful tips or hints or links to pictures of this engine will be much appreciated, There doesnt seem to be a hayes manual for the synergie and this MPV doesnt seem to have much of a following in this country, its called an Evasion in france, and whilst i have found quite a few web sites with what looks like technical info, i dont read french unfortunatly

Thanks
2002 Peugeot 806 quicksilver HDI with bosch ecu
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Should be able to get the parts from GSF - but it might be a bit late for that! You might have to brave Halfords... The Xantia Haynes manual should cover this engine. Note that shane changed the cambelt in his 2.0 8v Xantia, and found that the crank pulley had slipped, and the marks didn't line up anymore anyway! Failing the book, you could use Anders' method of marking a tooth on the belt at each sprocket, and the two adjacent teeth on the sprocket, remove the belt, carefully (very, count several times) transfer the marks to the new belt, and then fit, aligning the marks on the sprockets. Set the tension to the normal 90° twist on the longest run.
Richard W
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks, I hadnt thought about halfords for parts !, I will give them a ring in a minute,

Anders method sounds like the best for me i think, I will search for his post and have a read, but i have done cam belt changes before by marking the belt and pulleys so it shouldnt be too difficult

Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Shane's description can be found at Shane's page - click on the Xantia link. He ended up using paint as he couldn't get the marks to line up :?
Richard W
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks!, Just picked up the parts from Halfords

I would never have thought of trying them for parts !!, water pump was a very reasonable £25.16 and the cam belt kit was £60.50 inc vat

Just battling with the siezed bolts on the wheel arch liners now, gonna pop into the peugeot parts department for a few spare arch fasteners as i have already cut the head off 1 bolt to remove it !
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

RichardW wrote:Shane's description can be found at Shane's page - click on the Xantia link. He ended up using paint as he couldn't get the marks to line up :?
Thats because the harmonic balancer pulley is on its way out & should of been replaced at the same time!

You should always check the timing holes line up before you get the engine in a majorly stripped state, Or make sure you can get hold of another bottom pulley easily if you find yours is faulty.