xantia key wont open doors. Just turns in the locks.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ricflair

xantia key wont open doors. Just turns in the locks.

Post by ricflair »

My xantia central locking has never worked. And i only ave the one key.

About 7 months ago the key gradually stopped working with the driver sside lock. So i just carried on using the passenger side lock as the central locking still unlocked and locked the whole car. Anyway, last few days the passenger side has stopped working.Now i cant even lock my car, and if i could, id probably never be able to open it again.

Any ideas of a fix and what cost aprox?

thanks
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sounds like the key and/or the locks have worn. The lock spinning is what you get if you try the wrong key in the lock.

What to do?

Get a new key made (not copied from the one you have) by Citroen, I had this done for one of mine and it only worked in the ignition.

Get the remote working, problem then is what to do when it stops.

Replace the locks and key?

Leave it unlocked, it's not like locks stop anyone anyway.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

how do i get a new key made by Citroen?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

ricflair wrote:how do i get a new key made by Citroen?
Provide all your details to a main dealer parts department, possibly including proof of ownership, depending on dealership policy.

Providing you have the original lock in the ignition they will order you a key to your chassis number, which will be cut by the factory to the same, as what they fitted to the car when they made it.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

how long will it take do you reckon?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

ricflair wrote:how do i get a new key made by Citroen?
All they asked me was the chassis number, they made a new key up there and then.

The important bit though it did not work because the locks were worn it worked fine in the ignition but not the doors. I got a plip at the same time so it was quite a while before I realised the key didn't work in the doors, it was about £60 for the lot but the plip was the most expensive bit.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

Thanks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The driver's door lock on my previous Xantia suffered from the problem where it just went round and round, but it was just lack of lubrication.

A bit of 3 in 1 on the key worked in and out of the lock a few times, and hey presto!

YMMV.
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

In my Xantias service history the previous owner had a complete set of locks fitted (including ignition) by a garage last November for 230 pounds
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Getting a new key wont fix this problem, as xantia_v6 says, its the locks that need lubricating....and its usually possible to completely restore normal working of the lock barrels by removing them, taking them apart and cleaning/lubricating them as they get full of dirt and muck and start seizing up.

See the following procedure:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... _locks.pdf

The usual symptoms are that the key can go round and round.... I've fixed two locks like this now....the only real snag is that if the key will never work you can only get the barrel out by removing the door card and the door handle.

If the key SOMETIMES works you can get the barrel out without removing the door card or the door handle, by inserting a screwdriver in a hole in the edge of the door and pulling on the key when its turned to one side...(it's quite fiddly to find the exact spot to push the screwdriver into though)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You might be able to make the lock work by pushing the key in hard while you turn it, this was what happened on my XM. The drivers side lock eventualy failed altogether so I swapped it with th passenger side. Then I fitted a new remote locking reciever and I dont use them at all now.

My experience with a non Citroen key was the opposite, it would open the drivers door but nothing else.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Peter.N. wrote: My experience with a non Citroen key was the opposite, it would open the drivers door but nothing else.
Thats because these keys use four faces instead of two, but the door locks only have tumblers for the two "normal" faces on the edges of the key, while the ignition lock uses all four.

From what I've been able to find out the cutting machines that most locksmiths use can only do the normal faces, they can't put the key blanks in sideways to do the two flat faces, so they have to do those ones by hand. :?

Some locksmiths I've tried refuse to even try to do them, and some give it a go but are usually unsuccessful, because they aren't skilled enough at the "old fashioned" way of cutting a blank by hand.... :? (There are some who can get it right, if you can find them)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
kip
My Cars:

Post by kip »

I have also had some problems in this area. Just recently the only original key stopped working on the driver door.
I managed to find 3 blanks. Got a lock smith to do the sides. On one he set it wrong and stuffed the sides. Two left and I let him try to do the other by hand. He was hopless and messed it up, he wanted to have a go on the last key but I refused to let him.
I very carefully did it my self. Works on the doors but only in one direction in the ignition.
I'm now trying to get hold of some more blanks, but even that seems problamatic in Australia. Just as well I live in a major city other wise I'd have no hope. I can imagine NZ would be worse.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

Is there anyway to test if my remote system int he car works without a key plip thing. As ive seen the key plips on ebay and will buy one if my remote works ok.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

ricflair wrote:Is there anyway to test if my remote system int he car works without a key plip thing. As ive seen the key plips on ebay and will buy one if my remote works ok.
Is your car a Series 1 (1993-1997) or Series 2 facelift model (1998-2001) ?

The series one cars had infrared remotes with a sensor in the ceiling behind the rear view mirror, while the series 2 had RF remotes.

I'll assume for the moment you have the earlier infrared type - mainly because I know nothing about the programming of the later type :lol:

The only way to test it would be if you could borrow a working plip from someone else and program your receiver to work with it.... to do so you simply hold the plip close to the receiver, and after turning on the ignition press and release the button about 30 times once per second then turn the ignition off...

Sometimes you might have to try this procedure more than once before it succeeds. If it works and you can now use it to lock and unlock the doors you know the receiver is ok.

The only drawback of this test is that you can't "unlearn" this plip unless you have a new one to get it to learn, so your friend will be able to open your car unless you unplug the receiver in the meantime :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400