Xantia TD ribbed belt tensioner, which one in GSF catalogue?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Xantia TD ribbed belt tensioner, which one in GSF catalogue?

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My newly acquired 1998 Xantia TD (with air con) is making a nasty noise at Idle, its coming from the ribbed belt, when I look down at it I see a pulley wobbling about in time to the noise, when the revs rise it shuts up and stops wobbling, consulting the book of lies (toilet paper edition Dark red cover) section 1B 14 maintenance reveals this to be the automatically adjusted roller, still with me? Moving to my downloaded GSF catalogue page 142 ther are an array of them, my choice is N 1379 B tensioner, anyone care to clarify please.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This discussion applies :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... +tensioner

Your '98 Xantia TD a/c fits the second drawing link.

It would be a great help if you submit the correct GSF stock no : N13179B :lol:
- then it will fit :wink:
(FYI : Citroen retail proce of this tensioer roller is some £70 exvat)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

That will be my fat typing finger again , thanks Anders will get it ordered.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Stewart,

The online catalogue says N13179B should be ordered with N13179..... Sounds like you need to see what they'er actually offering before ordering.

The change over from the 'early' set up (first pic in Anders' thread) to the later set up is by no means a set date - my 97 has the early set up, but I've heard of earlier cars that have the later set up...

I've changed one of the ones on an early car - not fun. just getting the belt off it usually a trial in itself. You then need to remove the HP pump and alternator - and getting the alternator out past the top hose is difficult (we drained the coolant and took the top hose off - as we were changing that anyway). Even then access is awkward to the mounting bolts (allen screws....!)

I've not seen a later one, but there was a thread a while back where someone tried to change one, and gave up as they couldn't get to the mouting bolts.
Richard W
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I have the later set-up i am waiting for the parts to come. One part is the roller and one is the spring they are both the same price from GSF.
Well so far i have removed the HP pump and the alternator, its not easy getting the alternator out as the bolts holding it on are in from the engine side not the wing side, so i had to do the lower bolt blind lying under the front of the car and using a short extention on my socket.
So far so good just got to take off the old tensioner now and then start the rebuild when i get the new one.

gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Mine arrived today, I ordered the wrong bit and now have an expensive spring I dont need :? I willl send it back and have already ordered the pulley, I will attempt to perform the operation through the wheelarch unless anyone else knows better?
Stewart
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You'll need toget the engine bottom cover off and the O/S wing liner out to get access to the tensioner bolts, but after that it's a top down operation - the tensioner is right behind the chassis leg. Make sure you note the route of the belt!!

PS - if the bottom cover is still there, ready the angle grinder to get it off - the bolts just go into those stupid clip on 'captive' nuts that just fall apart.
Richard W