Hydraulic pump leak !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Hydraulic pump leak !!

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

Just a straight forward question.

I have fitted to my car the two port(early version I believe)hydraulic
pump which I believe is weeping.It doesn't appear to be the hydraulic
feed or return pipes.They feel quite secure and the rubber pipe has been off before and re-tightened a couple of times.I've even cut the rubber pipe and re-terminated it back to the pump just in case it was perishing.
So I believe it may be weeping from the pump casing itself,if this is at all possible,so....my question is ...is there a reconditioning kit available for this type of pump?
Can the pump be dismantled without too much swearing going on and obviously put back together again??

Thanks to your answers in advance

cheers Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Leakage from these pumps seems very rare but having said that I once had an MOT failure because of it, the shaft bearing seal seemed to be the problem. They are very difficult if not impossible to get the pulley off and although I have heard of people dismantling them I think it would probably be a lot easier to get a secondhand pump. Its unlikely that you will get another one that leaks!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have seen these pumps leaking from around the blancking plugs on the pump body,and also from the step down adapters the metal pie gose into,all of these points have an O ring in there seat,i have in the past bought a pack of 5 seals from cit dealer,we did have trouble working out wich where the corect ones,but they were easy to fit in situe
regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just looked on pr.net and found two diferant seal at two points of a xantia pump the citroen part No,s are 4026.87 and 4026.88
regards malcolm
DerekH
My Cars:

Post by DerekH »

When I had a 1995 VSX I had a pump leak. It turned out to be that the stub that the inlet hose was connected had come unbraised. In other words the hose was connected to a metal pipe, which once was braised into the pump housing, but was now free to be moved in and out - and leak. I cured it by pulling it almost out, spraying a degreaser over the exposed pipe (which should have been within the pump) and then applying Screwfix polyurethane wood adhesive then pushing the pipe back in. I kept the engine running during all of this so as to keep the LHM from leaking out.

Screwfix polyurethane wood adhesive sticks any thing to anything! It's brilliant! It foams slightly as it cures to fill any voids. Worked well on a damaged mirror housing too.

I hope this helps.

Derek (late Kered)
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your replies.
I may well try and obtain some seals from the local cit dealer if they're
a reasonable price.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Non anti-sink cars have a single outlet pump, with a flow divider valve prividing the feed for the power steering. The flow divider is the first component in the hydraulic circuit after the pump and is often near the regulator. Basicially the hydraulic system on these carsd is similar to that on a BX.

The system was revised during 1994 and the anti-sink system was fitted. This was accompanied by the twin outlet pump, which has six cylinders feeding the steering and only 2 feeding the suspension and brakes. The flow divider is deleted.

In turn there are many types of pump, some have screwed together plastic bodies apparently - and there are some recent posts concerning one that fell apart and was repaired. Certainly repairs of the older ones is considered virtually impossible. This is a shame really as probably the reason for failure is breakage or softening of the piston return springs!
jeremy