XTD idling like a boat/train after overhaul

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

XTD idling like a boat/train after overhaul

Post by JohnCKL »

My Xantia 1.9TD had a full overhaul, changed new pistons, reboring block, new sleeves, recon injectors, new glow plugs, new timing belt. Its difficult to start, probably due to air leakage in overflow hoses or at fuel filter housing. After started, idling sounds like a boat or train, erratic, low and high sound until it is revved a few times, it improves a little. Idling at 900rpm. At higher idling of 1000rpm, it improves a bit. Is there a problem? Perhaps timing problem or fuel pump problem? Will it improve once I drive it? Its disconcerting to spent so much time and money on improving it but the idling really puts me off.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

From your description I would say check the timing. The first time I ever did a cambelt on an XUD I got a similar sound on startup - another strip down and I found one of the cogs was a tooth out.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, double check the timing, its very easy to get it one tooth out.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A couple of points - leakages from the leakoff pipes will ONLY affect engines with Bosch pumps - Roto-diesels just leak and smell.

The filter bowl setup can cause problems. The lid doesn't look like its got a very good sealing system but in fact doesn't seem to cause many problems but the water powered heating system can. To be specific the thermostat controlling this device can leak round its fixings allowing air in. Its the odd looking circular grey metal thing you can see on the left of the filter bowl at the back when looking at it from the front of the engine.

A Roto-diesel pump is can be badly affected by air. It relies on fuel to operate its governing system, which basically runs at full speed unless controlled. This means that air in the right place can cause runaway. I have noticed on my BX that if there is air in the fuel it will rev a bit hard and be undtable on startup. The Bosch pump is different and does NOT suffer in this way.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The difficult starting could also be caused by the timing being out. Leaking valve seats will also cause rough running, were the valve clearances checked and adjusted when the work was being done?
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks for your advice. Seems to be idling rough probably due to new piston rings and new sleeves but after driving for 1-2 days now, it is quite smooth now. Cold start still needs hand primer, will check for sources of air ingress somewhere.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996