Xantia Jacking Rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Jacking Rear

Post by PicassoPigeon »

What is the best way to jack up the rear of the Xantia, i only ask as a few months ago i changed the rear spheres and the numpty that i am i now have a higher floor on one side as i put my stands in the wrong place.

Yes OK, tell me how silly i am good job you cant see my face. :oops: :oops: :oops:
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Under the back end of the sills, only put a block of wood between the jack and the sill and use axle stands.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Personally I wouldn't jack up the rear of the car to change spheres, I would drive it onto ramps instead...

When I jack up the rear to bleed the rear suspension (one corner at a time) I usually put the jack under the rear suspension subframe where the two large bolts are. (One bolts onto the crossbar)

This is a structural point which doesn't need any load distribution. Any time that you try to jack up a part of the body instead of a structural suspension chassis point you run the risk of poking a hole through the body or deforming it, unless you use some sort of load distributor to spread the load.

The best approach I've seen is what some tyre places use - they make up something out of the tread of a large truck tyre rolled flat with a steel plate backing it, the steel plate side presses flat against the jack and there is a large area of thick rubber (about 200mm x 300mm) to press against the body - spreads the load nicely and doesn't leave any marks..

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If your changing spheres at the rear I would be worried sick about getting under using a jack and stands, I would feel much safer with the rear driven on some ramps
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(