locked tyre thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

watsoft
My Cars:

Post by watsoft »

I used to get phenomenal grip from bald tyres on my mini in the summer months, but it was never long before the inner webbing was exposed...crazy days!

I'm a lot (OK, somewhat) more sensible and law abiding these days!

Those NZ roads sound rough Mandrake, thought about some forest tyres? Only joking.

Tyre squeal is caused as the tyre looses grip, not as it bite's in for more (who ever suggested that in an earlier post).
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I believe that a certain amount of slip between tyre and road is in fact necessary.
IIRC, many years ago, Dunlop developed a rubber-based road surface, but it was withdrawn after trials revealed that it had too much grip, and was dangerous!
Perhaps my semi-senile mind's imagining it - does anyone else remember this?
deian

Post by deian »

too much grip :lol: ... that it made cars flip over probably, nice idea, but an amusing thought... 'cars tilting 45o before finally flipping over a few times just because they hold the road like glue!

What I think 'would' work is a road surface like dunlop did, but a layer of magnetised iron underneath it (polarised with one side), and the tyres on the cars polarised with the other side, so they attract each other and keep the car firmly planted, also maybe some way of generating a stronger magnetism on higher forces (speed, cornering etc).
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Nice idea, but you'd get some interesting side-effects.
The magnetism would probably induce eddy currents into the wheels, and they'd get very hot, for a start!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This thread has gone off topic.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image