locked tyre thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Got rubber band, coffee no problem - anyone got a spare time machine - no luck on E-Bay
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

John may remember where this proven one went:

john alexander

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:04 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be carefull when buying on ebay.I bought a time machine yesterday and as it arrived two weeks ago I hadn't a clue what it was so I sent it back. turns out I got the refund last november and have spent the money. At this rate I hope my dad gets it sorted out before he dies in 1958. Think I'll go for a lie down now regards john.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

I always buy my tyres in fours for peace of mind (although I get a mileage allowance and do 120 miles a day)
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You canny beat that mileage allowance :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

davetd wrote:I always buy my tyres in fours for peace of mind (although I get a mileage allowance and do 120 miles a day)
Do you not find that the fronts wear out far quicker than the rears though?
That always seemed to be a feature of larger Cits, or maybe its just my driving :wink:
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, the fronts wear the outside much faster than the rears.
At about 50,000 km, I got the wheel alignment checked for that, but it was right, and no reason to think that it has varied since.
Since the car knows its way around corners very well, the tyres show ‘evidence’ of that. :D
I rotate the tyres front to back every 10,000 km, and get 50,000 km out of a set of Michelin MXV3A’s.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Tread patterns have no effect in the dry - that's why F1 would prefer to run on slicks.
Tread patterns have two purposes in life, to act as a wear indicator and to shift water off the road. If they don't shift the water and you are going fast enough, you aquaplane.
Anybody who's had this happen to them will know how disconcerting it is, suddenly there appears to be no connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels and the brakes don't work either.
This is my reason for always having the better tread depth on the front wheels so that I have the best chance of shifting water from under the steered wheels.
Wet or dry, the critical thing is the frictional coefficient between tyre and road. As different rubber mixes have different coefficients, and react differently with different road surfaces, it seems me to be important to have the same make and type of tyre on each corner.

Derek
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

FrenchLeave wrote:Tread patterns have no effect in the dry - that's why F1 would prefer to run on slicks.
Tread patterns have two purposes in life, to act as a wear indicator and to shift water off the road. If they don't shift the water and you are going fast enough, you aquaplane.
Anybody who's had this happen to them will know how disconcerting it is, suddenly there appears to be no connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels and the brakes don't work either.
This is my reason for always having the better tread depth on the front wheels so that I have the best chance of shifting water from under the steered wheels.
Wet or dry, the critical thing is the frictional coefficient between tyre and road. As different rubber mixes have different coefficients, and react differently with different road surfaces, it seems me to be important to have the same make and type of tyre on each corner.

Derek
Well! Not wishing to upset anyone, especially any Moderators who happen to disagree with individuals personal viewpoint.... I agree with the above. Having had continuous involvement with Automotive manufacture all my working life my personal view is backed up with nearly 40 years experience ( 20 years as a Dunlop Tech.)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

And of course just to confuse things the first CX had smaller rear tyres than front.
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

really? i'm sure tyres with no tread will slide on a dry corner on any car compared to a new tyre where you can hear the tread grip the road, formula one cars have tyres to suit the racing track where as normal car tyres tackle all sort of road surfaces and hazards of life,
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

deian wrote:really? i'm sure tyres with no tread will slide on a dry corner on any car compared to a new tyre where you can hear the tread grip the road, formula one cars have tyres to suit the racing track where as normal car tyres tackle all sort of road surfaces and hazards of life,
Racing 'slicks' are devoid of tread because obviously you have more rubber in contact with the road surface.... hence better grip. The tread pattern is purely to displace water from the footprint of the tyre (does anyone remember the Dunlop 'Aquajet' commercials.... they were filmed on the test track at Dunlop in Erdington, Birmingham and gave an excellent example of water displacement.
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

deian wrote:really? i'm sure tyres with no tread will slide on a dry corner on any car compared to a new tyre where you can hear the tread grip the road, formula one cars have tyres to suit the racing track where as normal car tyres tackle all sort of road surfaces and hazards of life,
Tread allows the tyre to flex and distort i.e. the tread will slip against the road surface in pieces, you get better grip in the dry after you've worn it off. Rally cars use slick tyres on dry roads and they don't run on the best road surfaces. I've noticed that dry grip gets better and wet grip gets worse as tyres get older.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

f00lzz wrote:
Racing 'slicks' are devoid of tread because obviously you have more rubber in contact with the road surface.... hence better grip. The tread pattern is purely to displace water from the footprint of the tyre (does anyone remember the Dunlop 'Aquajet' commercials.... they were filmed on the test track at Dunlop in Erdington, Birmingham and gave an excellent example of water displacement.
That may be true of racing tracks which are a perfectly smooth seal surface, but what about other surfaces ?

In particular the coarse chip tar seal which is quite common over here in NZ, (the type that gives lots of "tyre roar") which has a grain size comparable to the dimensions of typical tyre tread paterns. Or metal roads for that matter ? Surely on coarse chip a bald tire will skate along the peaks of the chips while a treaded tyre will partially interlock ? (Same for metal/gravel)

Also I suspect there is quite a difference in the shape and properties of a tyre designed to be a slick, and a treaded tyre which has worn right down... ;)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

see... simon thinks like i do! My tyres 'roar' on corners too, but before i replaced then, the older ones used to squeal like a a pig on corners, whats the difference?... road surface! good work mr drake.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Mandrake wrote: That may be true of racing tracks which are a perfectly smooth seal surface, but what about other surfaces ?

In particular the coarse chip tar seal which is quite common over here in NZ, (the type that gives lots of "tyre roar") which has a grain size comparable to the dimensions of typical tyre tread paterns. Or metal roads for that matter ? Surely on coarse chip a bald tire will skate along the peaks of the chips while a treaded tyre will partially interlock ? (Same for metal/gravel)

Also I suspect there is quite a difference in the shape and properties of a tyre designed to be a slick, and a treaded tyre which has worn right down... ;)

Regards,
Simon
Was just using 'slicks' as an example... i.e. a tyre with no tread pattern having better grip than a tyre with tread on comparable road surfaces in dry conditions..

Just an interesting point here!! The best lubricant used when cutting rubber compound during manufacture is ..... WATER...
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD