ZX door pins or not

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX door pins or not

Post by Dave1 »

The drivers door on my 94 ZX has dropped with wear. (3 door means heavy!)

I have taken the door off which is easy but the pins are not typical. In fact looking at the blue print they are not even available and citroen parts dept. simply say there is a screw. I think the screw they refer to is the one which clamps the pin, perpendicular to the hinge. It is possible to buy a complete hinge at £24 but then that needs splitting and they are not nec designed for it.

I just wondered if anyone has found an easy fix. I know a good engineer who can poss. fabricate something but I may be doorless for a while then.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

0281 07 841120 FRONT HINGED SIDE DOORS BERLINE 3PTES
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 411200.gif
03 - 9181.A2 - DOOR STOP 3 DOOR SALOON
04 - 96.147.152 - LEFT DOOR HINGE - 3 DOOR SALOON
04 - 96.147.138 - RIGHT DOOR HINGE - 3 DOOR SALOON
05 - 96.103.223 - DR HINGE SCREW - 3 DOOR SALOON
10 - 9044.41 - TANK STRAP

Which blueprint have you been looking at ?
- or have I misunderstood about your doorpin :lol:
You may have the doorpin/doorscrew worn down - even replaced by something non-genuine - to such an extent you cant recognise whats got to be in there. The hinge screw item 5 is 1/10 the cost of a hinge.
The above is copied from Cit PR net.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

You have been looking at what I have been looking at. Whilst it appears the "screw" does go downward into the hinge, I am pretty sure it actually goes into the lower part of the hinge which is attached to the body. This screws in horizontally to clamp the vertial pin into the door and stop the door lifting off. Why do I come to this conclusion? Because the picture of the screw show no resemblance to the hinge pin but looks exactly like the clamping screw. Also there would be no picture of the clamping screw if it were the hinge pin as to say. However it may be well worth checking out a viewing.

I have the original pins all round, painted in venetian red.

By the way. what is that Tank Strap? Item 10
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have a look at the Xsara instead :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 41110A.gif
04 - 9044.34 - HINGE SHAFT

Does that ring a bell ?
- as I have an idea the threading is the same on the door hinge screw.

"Tank strap" must be a rubber/plastic protective cap some kind. Could be a bad or mis-guiding drawing of the hinge pin in fact ...
Many parts are born specific for a certain purpose with a related designatin on one car - then is found useful later in other locations on other cars. Hence their at times very strange designations. Like "tow ball plug" which is a plastic welsh plug used to blank off holes in the chassis all over.

May I suggest you lurk into your Cit dealer with some of the above part numbers for a quick search and glance of the specific parts/bits. Not un-usual to get the "a-haa.." I'm sure both of you need in this instance ... 8)

Other ZX'ers out there to help on these details ? - Jeremy ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi,

Been to cit dealer today to check it out. Parts were unable to help and had no stock of anything. Went to body shop. Can confirm the hinge pin does not exist. The only is to replace the whole hinge. Xsara is not the same, had a look at one of those.

Looks like I will be looking to fabricate something but will have to get the pin out first. Should not be too hard but not a great design.

I will let you know I get on

Thanks

Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Update

Today I filed the top of the pin away and punched it through the hinge. There is a sleeve made of some material threaded with what appears to be copper. This takes up the slack and also stops metal on metal wear. This looked pretty worn. I am only referring to the top hinge here. The bottom hinge seems fine. As a fix I have lined the hinge with tin and pushed (hammered) the pin back. The slack has gone. I do not know how long this will last but on seeing the make up of the hinge, I think I may get a new one fitted eventually. Not much point in trying to split a new hinge as I doubt it is possible to get the sleeve out and in without damage.