Gatso Reveals Its New Model !

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

The Mop

Post by The Mop »

Regimes carefully calculate what they can get away with. :evil:
The city must live in fear that the peasants will invest the town. :twisted:
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

A stihl buzz saw is too good for it. A fourty quid auction banger might do it though. Ooops.....that naughty steering didn't work. Now look at the awful mess that I have made of that gatso thingy......no, I speak any other language apart from Engish officer, and I don't have any insurance either....ho hum....just let the good old British public pay for that one eh?....and I'll bugger back off to the country I came from for a few weeks whilst you sort it all out OK? I'll be back soon though.

Bitter, twisted, MOI!

Never.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Gatso Reveals Its New Model !

Post by Kowalski »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Gatso has been at it again !

■ Has a hard disk which can store 60,000 images on a hard drive.
I wonder how big that hard disk is, my PC can always use the extra space... :twisted:
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Can I have a rant now please. My brother in law went on an advanced motor cycle course with a police car/bike trainer. They got chatting about revenue cameras and in particular one up the road from us. It is on a stretch of road about 5 miles long before it reaches a busy level crossing. Just before the crossing is a series of blind bends that people come flying into and hit the back of cars in a queue. Due to these accidents they were allowed a revenue camera but it was situated some 2 miles back from this accident black spot. It's position is close to a fatality caused by a known alcoholic walking into the path of an oncoming car being so pissed she didn't know what she was doing. Now I thought the camera was put there for that reason which really annoyed me to say the least as there had been no serious accidents before. Anyway getting back to what I was saying this copper said to my brother in law that the reason the camera was allowed was because of the accidents by the level crossing but they can put the camera anywhere on that piece of road within a certain distance so it is nowhere near the accident black spot as it is difficult to speed on these bends hence less revenue. So it has been put at the point where the road is straight and goes from a 40-50 one way and vice versa the other way. So you see the 50 sign accelerate £60 quid please or you come the other way @ 50 mph £60 please. And another thing the road used to be a 60 mph road with no serious accidents until the camera went in now it goes 30-40-50-30 from my town out to the level crossing. I'm sorry for the rant but it's just a joke how can anyone defend them as safety cameras they are purely for making money sorry.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

mezuk04 wrote: but then if they were driving safely and at the correct road speed
Which is?

Could you drive safely without a speedometer?

Answer those questions then tell me why we place so much emphasis on the number in the red circle.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

In Alecs post he mentioned about the fluctuating speed limit I.E. 30-40-50-30.

So when a driver enounters what appears to be a constantly changing so called correct speed, and if it's over a short distance, and many are, then their eyes will be on the speedomter much more than the road.

As they suddenly without thinking slam on the brakes, they pose a danger to the traffic behind who were at a safe distance, and speed but then find the road blocked by an idiot who has not looked at the traffic around them, used the mirrors, and common sense.

With that constant focus on the speedometer I would not want to be infront of this type of muppet, because they would not realise when the traffic has stopped, and would then rear end you.

Although the authorities think the cameras help road safety they are actually a cause of great distraction to many drivers, and can cause drivers to drive without due care and attention, because they are much too focused on the speedometer.

So, cameras are actually seen as revenue generators, and a cause of great distraction.

If a driver is being constantly distracted, and is on edge all the time, and is not driving with due care and attention, then they will be unsafe.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Here's another new one-this one doesn't flash so you won't know if it's got you...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5096812.stm
With that constant focus on the speedometer
I rarely actually feel the need to glance at the speedo- I usually have a pretty good idea of how fast I'm going, as I think most people do when they've been driving for a few years.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Answer those questions then tell me why we place so much emphasis on the number in the red circle.
I'm confused, I was trying to say that if drivers are driving correctly and at the correct speed then there shouldnt be any problems with the placement of speed cameras (referring to the original thread post) and again they should be observant to know the speed in the area.

Or have i just repeated myself :?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Homer wrote:
mezuk04 wrote: but then if they were driving safely and at the correct road speed
Which is?

Could you drive safely without a speedometer?

Many people can drive safely but many choose not to.

The local car modding community were meeting up on Friday and Saturday nights in my home town. Some of them were racing each other, using the main street through the town centre as part of their track. My local town has quite a few pubs, people come from the surrounding towns because of the nightlife here. There were young inexperienced lads driving at speeds that were completely inappropriate, I stood on the pavement one day and listened as they accelarated to the rev limiter in 3 gears. As they passed me they were doing more than 60mph in a town centre with a 30 mph limit with drunk people trying to cross the roads, when I drive through the town with these people trying to cross the roads 30mph feels too fast. After a lot of local complaint, angry letters to the local newspaper etc, the police discouraged these people from coming back. I'm sure some of them felt harassed and victimised, it was a case of the minority spoiling it for the majority but there was no way things could be allowed to continue as they were. The reason for the speed limits are those few who will do stupid things, in the end everybody suffers.

The Government has its statistics that show what percentage of injury / fatality accidents have excessive speed as a factor, unfortunately they don't publish how many of those accidents had ILLEGAL speed as a factor, I've said before that it is possible to drive excessively quickly within the speed limits, we have plenty of national limit roads with bends, dips and other hazards in them.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

All very unfortunate in respect of your local group but had there been some Police presence and action in the early stages the guys would probably never have got out of hand.

Statistics compiled after accidents are probably complete rubbish. No-one is going to own up to have made mistakes - so they say they were gong too fast or their brakes failed - when what they should be saying is I was changing the CD, wasn't paying attention, was on the phone and all the truthful reasons.
jeremy
sub42
My Cars:

Post by sub42 »

Let us all remember a few little facts.

1. Speed cameras are growing in numbers.
2. Road traffic fatalities are still growing.

What kind of rational person would say from that statement that speed cameras reduce accidents. The fact remains that we are being force fed the idea that all accidents are caused by excessive speed. Therefore we must all stop speeding. Right?

We all know that the thing that actually causes accidents is the inappropriate use of speed, and poor judgement, not speeding in its own right. It's driving round a corner at the posted speed limit, when you can actually only go round the corner at 30mph. It's the badly timed overtaking manouver, the one where the impatient dickhead overtakes the person doing the 30mph limit at 32mph 'cos he's a limit lover' and crashes head on into the oncoming car that is also trying to do 30 mph. It's all about the tailgaters in their big flash urban battering rams, that think all of the cars added gismos and anti-this-and-that electronics will actually save them from harm when they drive like prats!

Modern cars are beginning to make people take risks that they can't fully handle. Try getting a ham-fisted 'big-tank' owning numbskull to drive a 1970 mini in the way he drives his urban tank, and he would feel vunerable. It's a theory in it's most watered down way. But I think it's they way we are being brainwashed into thinking that cos we have a five-star rated car, we can drive like a tit!

People are being killed on our roads because we are driving badly and aggressively, not because we all speed!
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

jeremy wrote:All very unfortunate in respect of your local group but had there been some Police presence and action in the early stages the guys would probably never have got out of hand.

Statistics compiled after accidents are probably complete rubbish. No-one is going to own up to have made mistakes - so they say they were gong too fast or their brakes failed - when what they should be saying is I was changing the CD, wasn't paying attention, was on the phone and all the truthful reasons.
Well yes the Police presence would have helped in that instance.

Although it would also help in general if they were enough traffic police, recently on the BBC programme "Traffic Cops" the few officers on traffic duty were seen to be called away from their traffic duties to attend to other things that they are now tasked with doing.

So, their presence on the road stops, they attend to these other tasks which they have to do, which points to the fact that there are not enough police in the first place.

The officer seen on the programme did not like the fact that he gets taken away from traffic duties, because he knows that it allows the problems on the road to increase.

When they are allowed by their superiors to actually get on with their traffic duties they are able to attend to traffic, and have a much better effect on road safety than the camera, because they can attend to many other motoring related problems than just speed.

There are too many people driving without due care and attention, or under the influence of drink or drugs etc etc.

If a vehicle is being driven erratically a speed camera taking still pictures will not pick up on that in the way that an officer will.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

More To Come !!

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Also it was reported recently, that there are plans to put up cameras on EVERY residential street, where in effect they will be on every street corner. :shock:
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Was coming back with the girlfriend from Chester Zoo around half 4 yesterday where they did the filming for the Dam Busters along a stretch of water :?: :?:

There was a BMW coupe behind lots of cars making dashes to get ahead round some serious approaching twisty bends and with a great drop on the right hand side, quite scary. He eventually got up to me, was level with the door and had to brake rather harshly as the approaching HGV was coming a little too quick for him, plus the several cars in front of me
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

mezuk04 wrote:Was coming back with the girlfriend from Chester Zoo around half 4 yesterday where they did the filming for the Dam Busters along a stretch of water :?: :?:

There was a BMW coupe behind lots of cars making dashes to get ahead round some serious approaching twisty bends and with a great drop on the right hand side, quite scary. He eventually got up to me, was level with the door and had to brake rather harshly as the approaching HGV was coming a little too quick for him, plus the several cars in front of me
The driver of the BMW sounds like an idiot !