hydrulic fluid and paint work.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Kowalski wrote:
alan s wrote:Do tell!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Air brakes aren't hydraulic are they .... hence no hydraulic fluid.

I do know that smaller trucks often do have hydraulic brakes (I've got a set of front brakes off a Ford Cargo truck, they're a bit bigger than my Xantia ones) and often even when they have an air operated parking brake they still have hydraulic brakes, but larger trucks have air brakes, don't they? Bin wagons in the UK tend to be pretty large, the trend is towrards 3 and 4 axles, I remember when they only had 2.
Yes, but there are vehicles with air over hydraulic brakes.

Here's an example of a specification for a commercial vehicle that details just that very point.

Length: 7.10 m (216 inches).
Width: 2.50 m (112 inches).
Height: 3.30 m (97 inches).
Weight: 11.800 kg (40.500 lb.).
Engine: Own 6-cylinder, 5.675 cm3 (364 cubic inches), liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 130 at 2.800 rpm.
Transmission: 5-speed.
Transfer case: None.
Electrical system: 24 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Air-over-hydraulic.
Tyres: 10.00 - 22.5.
Fording depth:
without preparation: N/A.
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Diesel.

Also here is some further information about air over hydraulic brakes.

Air-Over Hydraulic Brakes
A brake valve connected directly to the brake pedal releases compressed air stored in an air tank. This air is controlled by an air master. The rest of the mechanism is the same as that of hydraulic brakes. Medium- to heavy-duty trucks and medium buses generally use air-over hydraulic brakes.

Yes, the largest vehicles have full air brakes, but smaller vehicles are not the same.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm at a loss to understand the reasoning here unless we're wanting to argue for the sake of it.
If it had hydraulic fluid blown over it, where do air brakes without hydraulic fluid come into the picture?
Are you suggesting perhaps that it only had air blown over it??
As I say, the problem is the hydraulic fluid and the type not whether they had air or hydraulics involved as it was obviously hydraulic, it's more a case of which kind of hydraulic and as Active8 points out, air over hydraulic still brings us back to a hydraulic fluid.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isn't the air just to assit like sevo assited???,some trolly jacks use mineral hydraulic oil and others use vegy oil equal to brake fluid
regards malcolm