xantia HDI rockers/pushrods broken! Petrol mixed with Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

f00lzz
My Cars:

Re: Fixed and runing pefect!

Post by f00lzz »

Considering the relatively minor additional cost, wouldn't it have been better to fit a new belt just in case.
Absolutely!! And I think the damage to the engine when using incorrect fuel is minimised to the fuel pump, which will be damaged because of the lack of lubrication in petrol.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The trouble with petrol in CR engines is the close tolerances in the high pressure pump. Petrol does not have enough lubrication, and ruins the case hardening inside the pump. This causes the pump to eat itself - maybe not straight away, but at some time in the future probably. This then sends swarf all through the fuel system, necessitating replacement of the HP pump and injectors, cleaning out of the pipework and tank, and possible LP pump replacement. The cost can easily exceed £2000! CR are getting a nickname of 'common fail' in the trade for this reason, and also spurious electrical maladies that no-one can isolate. Literally 000's of people are misfuelling their diesel cars every week - storing up lots of potentially expensive injection system rebuilds later in life. If you go to buy an HDi, look for a one owner one, and ask the question if it has ever been misfuelled - if it has, walk the other way!

Having said that, my mates 306 HDi is running fine at 145k - and pulls well since being rechipped!
Richard W
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

the belt was an original citroen one and was like new, still got 60k left in it so thought I'd leave it. However, have noticed that the idle is just a little of balance first thing in morning, goes away once you have revved the car. Could this be the timing? Noticed that the cam sprocket can be adjusted slightly, was thinking of advancing it?

What you all think?