xantia HDI rockers/pushrods broken! Petrol mixed with Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

icedillon

xantia HDI rockers/pushrods broken! Petrol mixed with Diesel

Post by icedillon »

Some petrol got into my tank by accident, thought it would be ok but a couple of miles don the road the car started sounding tappety then died! Timing belt is fine but the rockers are broken except for two!

Can anyone tell me if my valves will be ok? shall i just change the rockers/pushrods whatever they are called or get a replacement head?

Are the rockers expensive?

Regards
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there is a good chance that you will get away with just replacing the rockers,surely the timing must have jumped to damage the rockers ?
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

I'm suprised, the belt seemed fine so I'm not sure if it jumped. Maybe had nothing to do with the petrol? engine ran smoothly with no engine light on or anything
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I do not see any relationship with petrol in the tank and rockers...

How much petrol did you get in the tank and how much diesel was it mixed with? My guess is that you would damage the CR injection system rather than rockers if you had too much petrol in the system.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

I was thinking similar, I think 20 percent was petrol when I pulled it from the filter drain it wasnt that bad to be honest just a little thin if anything. Why do you think all my rockers have gone then, well all except 2? does anybody know where to get new ones from cheap?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Does the engine crank OK ?
Then you could do a comp test to check the valves.

Try your local motor factor and Citroen dealer for prices.

Its a wellknown precaution in cold climates to use petrol in diesel fuel for anti-waxing.
- but of course not that high a percentage :wink:
Otherwise its pretty common to get heavy "farting" from a diesel exhaust should high concntration of petrol reach the engine.
Probably not on a HDI though - as these diesels would have a Cat.

The only other relation petrol/rockers failure I could ever think off would be something to do with a raised temp and then the valves sticking. But thats strictly taken out of the blue - nothing I've ever heard off.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would be very surprised if the petrol had anything to do with the demise of your rockers, its far more likely to be, as suggested, that the cam belt has slipped a few teeth.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

had a 406 hdi with poor fuel (petrol,water diesel) mix ran untill it stopped,it seized the high pressure pump and cracked the drive sprocket then cambelt jumped and broke rockers,your valve timing must be out to break rockers,if you take head off i bet there is marks on pistons where contact was made.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Once again for those that have missed it all the other times its happened.

HDI engine + PETROL in the fuel tank = EXPENSIVE DAMAGE!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm curious! I'm not for a moment suggesting there isn't a link betwen the petrol in the fuel and the valve gear damage. Is Anders theory (which does seem plausible) the reason?

Do 2.2 HDi's do this if they overheat as well?
jeremy
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

i think if the head got that hot so that the valves would seize in there guides the head would have warped as well,all seems a bit of a mystery to me,does it all time up ok on belt?has wood ruff key sheared?
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I stand corrected :oops: :oops: Having never owned an HDI I was only applying what I know about the diesels that I have run for the last 40 years or so, I am not familiar with the common rail system, but I still wouldn't have thought that the relativly small ammount of petrol would have caused all that damage, but it appears that I am wrong.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

PowerLee wrote:Once again for those that have missed it all the other times its happened.

HDI engine + PETROL in the fuel tank = EXPENSIVE DAMAGE!
Me too I stand corrected -
Appearantly we are not permitted to know why ? :?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
icedillon

Fixed and runing pefect!

Post by icedillon »

Well guys,

I am shocked my self. 4 cam followers were broken, I replaced 6 just in case at £9 each, put the belt back on and started it! It ran perfect belive it or not!

I am totally confused with this one although I did notice that the belt was abot loose when I took the covers off, maybe this was teh issue?
DaveW
My Cars:

Re: Fixed and runing pefect!

Post by DaveW »

icedillon wrote:, put the belt back on and started it! .....................although I did notice that the belt was abot loose when I took the covers off, maybe this was teh issue?
Considering the relatively minor additional cost, wouldn't it have been better to fit a new belt just in case.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon