Xantia Estate electrical fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Xantia Estate electrical fault

Post by handyman »

The reversing lights on my estate are permanently on even with the ignition switched off, indicating a short somewhere. I have isolated the gearbox switch, fuse, stripped out the panel in the tailgate, checked the wiring through the door and down to the offside rear light cluster. No faults.

Has anybody experience of a similar problem with a possible known fault or failure in the wiring harness? I presume the harness has rubbed through somewhere between the fuse box and rear lights.

Can anybody tell me the route the cables take through the bodywork as I do not fancy stripping out trims to locate possible problem areas.

Thanks, in anticipation, Handyman.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

does the car have a tow bar fitted ? if so the first place i would look is the electrics for the towbar.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Wheeler, thanks for the observation but the towing bracket is still in the box in the workshop.

I was hoping somebody would indicate the route of the harness run through the car. It gets a bit of a hard life as I use it for work and the car has done a high mileage, 250K.

I have noticed recently that the rear wiper would intermittently operate, especially in wet weather, but I put this down to either devine intervention or a genetic mutation. Would have been better on the front comme le Serie 2. :P

Does anybody know if the harness runs across the boot floor or across the footwells? Citroen are quite good at doing this sort of thing, as my CX has a cable harness, with a connector plug running under the carpet in the drivers foot well!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

This thread and its links may be of use:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19161
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Clogzz, thanks for that info. So it looks like the harness at the front of the car could be faulty. I will check that out and get back with the results.
I was interested to see that somebody mentioned about the two connectors in the harness near the drivers footwell and in the rear passengers footwell. As the car has had (and still has!) the dreaded wet carpet syndrome, I will be looking in these areas for corroded terminals/connectors.