Hydraulic leak/Pressure regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin1962
My Cars:

Hydraulic leak/Pressure regulator

Post by kevin1962 »

I have LHM fluid leaking from the right-hand side (as viewed from the front) of the hydraulic pressure regulator. It seems to be from behind the bracket.

What has failed here? Does it mean a new unit, or is there a repair possible? And how much is it likely to cost?

Could someone post a line drawing or picture of the unit so that I can better understand whats going on.

Thanks, Kevin.
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

The car is a Xantia 1.9 TD, by the way.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a rubber return pipe on the right hand side of the regulator, that's the most likely culpret.
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

Checked the return pipe. It's fine. the leaking is from the end on the casting, behind the the bracket. What is behind this bracket?
dirk diggler

regulator leak

Post by dirk diggler »

Hi there, a pressure regulator has 4 main places it can leak from(not including pipe fittings).The plastic cap on the side, the bleed screw, the top seal and the join between the sphere.The plastic cap and top seal are both spring loaded ,behind these are o rings.This job may sound easy but the spring tension behind the top seal is very strong.Best bet is to replace it with a recon one from pleiades.Hope this helps mate!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: regulator leak

Post by AndersDK »

dirk diggler wrote:Hi there, a pressure regulator has 4 main places it can leak from(not including pipe fittings).The plastic cap on the side, the bleed screw, the top seal and the join between the sphere.The plastic cap and top seal are both spring loaded ,behind these are o rings.This job may sound easy but the spring tension behind the top seal is very strong.Best bet is to replace it with a recon one from pleiades.Hope this helps mate!
That makes 5 to me :
The end of the "casting" behind the bracket - is not part of the casting :wink:
Its a sealed plug which holds a VERY strong spring located inside the PR unit. This seal is known to leak because the bracket shifts the location of the plug a bit - when bracket is fitted and bolts torqued up.

Remove the bracket.
Then careful dap the "end of casting" with a small hammer such you can feel the plug is just exactly moving a tiny bit. This will reseat the plug and thus the seal.
Now offer up the bracket and check that it aligns squarely to the end plug - and the transmission casing. bend/straighten the bracket until it is a 100% straight & level square fit to both members. Then handtighten both bolts ensuring the bolt on the PR unit is centered in the bracket hole. Now tighten the bolts again.
Sealed with a kiss.

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 916100.gif
The plug is seen between items 6 & 18
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
dirk diggler

Regulator leak.

Post by dirk diggler »

I'm sorry i thought i counted four places the regulator can leak from perhaps we just have a different way of counting things.I have never known a regulator to be fixed by tapping the top of it. When i took a regulator apart i found the top 'o' ring had gone hard and snapped when i went to remove it. With the ease this 'o'ring came out i could see straight away i was not doing its job.Your method sounds interesting, could it be used on other applications such as bike tyres or household water leaks. Joining this forum has been a baptism of fire, i thought the idea of a forum was to help each other out not stab each other in the back.With love!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No offence -
Was not aware your mention of top seal was the same as the plug seal I mentioned. But it is the plug getting slightly offset due to the bracket that causes the seal to leak.

The seal (item 18 on drawing) can of course be replaced if you want to fight the spring force and circlip holding the plug.
96.157.736 HYDRAULIC OIL O-RING SEAL (some £4)
- not exactly a beginners task though :shock:

- and yes I believe you could get some sort of result tapping a leaking tyre. With love :D
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image