1998 1.9td VSX Xantia Electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Lovely !
Moving the loom to where it’s difficult to access. :x
Plugs and wires under the carpet do ring a bell, especially since you list two estates.
This thread may be relevant:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18288

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Yup problem resurfaced last night, wife borrowed car to go to night shift, brake lights stuck on again but no headlights/sidelights/rear fogs/front fogs
Handy as she works for the cozzers :oops: :oops:

Must be something to do with the loom between under bonnet fuse box and inside as the headlight supply is direct from the battery so the fascia fuse box is not in the loop at all I think.

I've checked the bit across the front behind the Rad, bit wet in patches but after drying it and careful inspection it seems OK. So it has to be where it runs up to the fuse box under the bonnet or behind the wings I guess.

I can get at some of it and waggle it about but it does not re establish connections so its either very bad or not there, think I'll try taking the wheel arch protector off first.

I presume it must be breaks in the wires as there are no blown fuses or that nasty plastic burning smell you get as the loom vaporises due to the earths not being good enough to blow the fuses :x :x

Anyone know what the browm multipin connector on the inner wing behind the LH headlight is for? it appears to be blanked off with a load of wires going to it but nothing plugged in - Diagnostic socket?
________
Vapir Oxygen
Last edited by ghostrider on 25 Feb 2011, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Not sure, but think it passes wires through the inner wing to the dash and to the back of the car.
The wires in the shroud along the back of the radiator can have water enter, and rot the conductor without affecting the insulation:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16816

RStacey

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:26 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a similar problem last year but with differant electrical items - I went through all the earth checks etc but finally traced the problem to the wiring in the loom under the radiator - the problem was cracked insulation which had allowed water in to the main power cables running from the under bonnet fuse box - it was difficult to see as the insulation looked largly intact but the copper core had corroded away inside the insulation
I suggest you have a very close look at the larger white and brown cables in the loom and look for a greeny/blue deposit on the insulation - I found 4 with this problem
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks Clogzz, I will have another look, must be this I suspect, now no headlights/sidelights :? :? I have a nasty suspicion that if it is this then it must be where the loom goes up behind the windscreen washer bottle to the inner wing, I've removed the wheel arch protectors both sides and everything seems ok, but from what you have said I may have missed it, to make a real job of it I'll have to take the bumper etc off :cry:

Why on earth (no pun intended 8) 8) )did they run this stuff this way rather than straght back into the passenger compartment and along behind the dash like every other Cit?
________
ShaggMyPussy