Peugeot 307 (Prob Citroen got same bits)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walcit

Peugeot 307 (Prob Citroen got same bits)

Post by walcit »

Anyone in this forum got any ideas?

I was just wondering about this on my Peugoet 307. The garage says it needs renewing because of an antipollution fault. The wheel arch liner did come off (now it's been replaced). I took the cannister off the other day and found that it had two pipes going into it (one from tank the other to engine) and an elec connection. Also there was a big hole on the other side - it lloked like there should be another pipe on there or that there should be a cap on it? Could anyone tell me if there should be a an open end on one end of the cannister? It doesnt make sense to me that there should be. Please could anyone advise?

Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot 307 (Prob Citroen got same bits)

Post by AndersDK »

walcit wrote:Anyone in this forum got any ideas?

I was just wondering about this on my Peugoet 307. The garage says it needs renewing because of an antipollution fault.
Thanks
Ahh well -

You dont go renewing the car on an anti-polluting fault :wink:

I cant see any other function of this canister than as a fuel vapour collector. Must be the charcoal canister. The charcoal soaks the fuel vapours from tank to decrease pollution. Thats the hose from tank.

When the engine has reached opereting temp, a valve opens and lets the charcoal vent the fuel vapour content to the engine intake. Thats the hose to the engine.

I'm not sure however - if this valve is the electric device on the canister (the electric leads) - or the valve is located at the engine - and then the electric leads is some kind of a sensor for the anti-pollution system.
But I tend to believe it IS the valve in fact.

The hole in the canister would be the required vent hole - both for letting the fuel vapours have a route to depressurise (thru the charcoal) from tank - and the vapours again a route to shift in fresh air in the charcoal when the engine intake is taking up the soaked vapours on drive.

In other words : I seriously doubt your garage saying of this canister in need of replacing. Try another garage before you let go.

It would not be elaborate to check that the valve is operating. Simply blow into the hose from engine side - when ignition is off. The hose should be blocked. With engine running at normal temp - try blow again - thehose should be open. Dont SUCK the hose - or you will get a good dose of fuel vapours :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
walcit

Post by walcit »

Ok, thanks for that.
I did see the report after the diagnostic was done. It did say purge cannister/solonoid valve. I'll try blowing through it when the engine is running.

Thanks for that