Which oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I personally don't believe the "W" stands for Winter (or Weight) but that's irrelevant, I know. It's a throwback from some previous naming convention.

I also don't believe it's ok to mix oils. Maybe from the same manufacturer and the same range but the problem seems to be the differing additives and the risk of diluting them but as he says, it could be market BS to encourage loyalty.

What I did like in that article (where did you copy it from?) was that they allegedly released 6% more power just by changing oil, now that woud be worthwhile as I'm sure economy would improve.

The more I read online, the more I think it's a good idea to experiment with thinner and thinner oils. Without oil temperature and pressure gauges though I'd like to know a bit more about typical engine oil temperatures under both normal driving and enthusiastic driving but not as excessive as racing around a circuit.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I didnt write any of the last post :wink:

Ok so W doesnt stand for winter? You don't believe this, you don't believe that, i believe that makes you impossible!

Do whatever you want at the end of the day. I know my engines are well looked after and will last a long time with a common sense approach to it.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan583 wrote:I didnt write any of the last post :wink:
You could have fooled me Gareth! It's written in your style so I thought it was you!
XantiaMan583 wrote: Ok so W doesnt stand for winter?
No, it's simply the placeholder for the cold viscosity value and for the users at large to know that this oil is suitable for year-round use. Formerly, with monogrades you had summer and winter grades.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Similar style and some years ago i would spend many hours composing posts like that, but cant be arsed now! :)
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

Nothing like good old oil thread to get the blood going, I buy the 20litre job from costco, for £21, it is a chevron oil, suitable for vw tdi's, will check the acea number properly tommorow, it's a diesel oil and is a 10w40. At that price am happy to change every 3000miles.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks everyone for their replies and advice in response to my enquiry and debate, I appreciate your well-meaning comments and debates.

Though once again I appear to have unintentionally rubbed some people up the wrong way so I'll finish with this thread and continue my search for specific and accurate data elsewhere.

However, I make no apologies for seeking the truth and feel it's important we challenge the facts, myths and misleading information propogated (especially through the internet) for the good of all and I hope this thread has managed to show that at least.

No hard feelings and best wishes to all,
Mike.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

So essentially what you are saying is regardless of what people say, its not good enough and we have wasted our time. It certainly feels that way to me.

I had a look at my owners manual today and quite where you get the idea it is suitable to use a 5w 30 in your car in this climate is beyond me, it even has a useful guide to show what is the best oil for the ambient temperature.

Citroen even recommend a 15w 40 oil for all diesel engines (1.9 and 2.1) for the UK climate. Live in Sweden and no doubt they would recommend a 5w 40 based on the sub zero conditions.

I could scan it but i feel that will be 15 minutes of my life wasted trying to explain something my labrador could understand!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

XantiaMan583 wrote:So essentially what you are saying is regardless of what people say, its not good enough and we have wasted our time. It certainly feels that way to me.
I'm sorry you feel that way but assure you, you are mistaken again. I have already said thanks for your help. I have also apologised for rubbing anyone up the wrong way.
XantiaMan583 wrote:I had a look at my owners manual today and quite where you get the idea it is suitable to use a 5w 30 in your car in this climate is beyond me, it even has a useful guide to show what is the best oil for the ambient temperature.
Again, I have already explained that? I also thought you agreed with me but then added a worst case scenario to illustrate a potential pitfall or two?
XantiaMan583 wrote:Citroen even recommend a 15w 40 oil for all diesel engines (1.9 and 2.1) for the UK climate. Live in Sweden and no doubt they would recommend a 5w 40 based on the sub zero conditions.
I think I've already said in a previous post that manufacturers are subject to adjusting their recommendations, Citroen are not the only ones.
XantiaMan583 wrote:I could scan it but i feel that will be 15 minutes of my life wasted trying to explain something my labrador could understand!
No, don't waste 15 mintures of your life, I do believe Citroen have amended their recommendations, no need to scan it thank you.
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

Haynes states you should use a Multigrade oil SAE 10W40 or 15W50 with an ACEA spec of B3.96, I have my cars original handbook so I will look in the garage and check what it says in there. Shell say on thier site use a 10W40 or 15W40 with specific specs B2/B3/PD2/CD/CE (for the 1.9TD). You pays your money and you make your choice, but I think it should be taken into consideration that we are talking about TD with indirect engines, of an old design, not a Subaru Impreza WRX with a PPP package, years ago when I was doing minicab/courier work I put 350000 miles on a 405 GLX TD, it was a 95M, and I sold it for a new car in march 1999, the car had oil changes every 5000 miles with 10W40, and I don't think it was even semi synthetic the garage used, the car was seen two years later on the old kent road still being used as a minicab, and over 400000 miles, and on the original engine, head never been off, if that doesn't show th regular changes are more important than fancy specs and using different oils in winter/summer. If you use an oil that is too thin when cold you will increase your oil consumption and your car will probably sound like a bag of spanners when cold, this happened to me when I had an oil change done at kwikfit last year, don't know what grade they put in, but I changed it to my costco special and it was much quieter on start up. I work for the ambulance service and we have ambulances that are 10 years old, with big simple V8 petrol engines, they get oil changes every 3/4000 miles, with a suitable mineral oil, and I don't know of any engine failures, head gaskets, yes, but not bottom ends ets.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.