Stop light on dash staying on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

Stop light on dash staying on

Post by Bick »

Hi all i'm looking for some help locating a problem ive got.

I have a P reg Xantia 1.9TD non active suspension with 130,000 miles on the clock.

I purchased her 3 years ago from a citroen agent with 80,000 on the clock - from go i had a load of probs with the suspension and they ended up replace all the spheres and most of the valves on it.

It's been trouble free since but recently when its been left for a while say over night or morning till dinner the Stop light stays on the dash for 15 seconds - sad i know cos i timed it!

If i try to drive off, say reverse off the drive then brake, before this light has gone out there is virtually no foot brake.

If i wait for the light to go out it's fine.

Other than that the ride seems fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Yep, I've had exactly the same problem on my car. It's also a 1.9TD 'R' Reg Temptation with non-active suspension and about 160,000 on the clock.
Question: have you also noticed strange steering problems with the car when cold?
I ask this because I suspect the hydraulic pump (advice given to me from earlier posts on this forum this week), and hope this will also solve my 'lazy' Stop light a make it go out after just a few seconds like it used to do.
I'm no expert, but I am getting ready to change my hyraulic pump based upon the various advice' received.
Good luck,
Steve
deian

Post by deian »

all point to a tired hydraulic pump, you should have enough to brake with unless the accumulator sphere is kerput, but you say you replaced that?
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Yeah, I did on my car, although I can't completely rule out the accumulator sphere going pop early.
I'm checking out the price of a pump.....
P.S. is it easy to bleed the system once the unit change is made?
Cheers,
Steve
kevin1962
My Cars:

Post by kevin1962 »

I have a similar problem with one of my Xantias. It takes at least 15 seconds for the hydraulic pressure to come fully on in the Summer and anything up to 10 minutes on a cold Winter morning! It's always been this way. I've had the system flushed to little effect. I Citroen mechanic told me that some cars are "just this way". Has anyone got an explanation or solution?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hi swiss_steve,

My steerings fine from the off - no problems there

I was thinking accumulator sphere as mine is about 50,000 miles old now.

deian, should i be looking at replacing this sphere?
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hmmm....
I would certainly look at the sphere first as it's an easy fix.
Question: How old is the sphere - more than three years?
If so, then I would definitely change this first, especially after 50,000 miles.....
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I'm sure that a Hrydraflush and change of LHM/clean filter etc would solve the problem... these pumps should last a lot longer than suggested (except the plastic ones).
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

kevin1962 wrote:I have a similar problem with one of my Xantias. It takes at least 15 seconds for the hydraulic pressure to come fully on in the Summer and anything up to 10 minutes on a cold Winter morning! It's always been this way. I've had the system flushed to little effect. I Citroen mechanic told me that some cars are "just this way". Has anyone got an explanation or solution?
In that case you had better find another Citroen "mechanic" :lol: :lol:

Some cars are not "just this way", 10 minutes is a definate fault....(boy I hear some drivel out of the mouths of so called experts sometimes :lol: no wonder Citroen's can get a bad name...)

Taking a long time before starting to pump the system up like that is a classic case of the pump losing its prime, so check the hose from the tank to the pump for integrity, make sure there are no cracks, that both ends are clamped tightly etc.

There is a small chance it could be the pump as well, but definately check the hose first.

Also you could connect a piece of clear hose in line with the return pipe to the tank as I described in this thread: (including picture)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 5&start=15

Pic: http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... irtest.jpg

Then in the morning try slackening the pressure regulator bleed screw and starting the engine then watch the hose, if all is well clear oil should flow immediately.

If the pump had lost its prime the oil will barely flow at first and then suddenly it will come wooshing through with massive amounts of air, then gradually clear itself. (If the leak is bad there will always be a little bit of air though)

If you see something like that, its a sure sign of a suction leak causing the pump to lose its prime.

The type of pump used is very poor at self priming, as it relies on the oil film inside the cylinders to seal the pistons - no oil on the inlet, no oil film, so poor sealing and very little pumping. (Eg it can't pump air very effectively)

All it takes is a moderate air leak on the inlet hose and it will really struggle to prime itself. Additionally, the pump finds it much more difficult to prime when it is operating into a load - eg trying to pump up the accumulator sphere and the rest of the system.

Opening the pressure regulator bleed screw in this situation removes the load from the pump and makes priming easier. You'd probably find that on one of these cold mornings where it refuses to lift, if you opened the bleed screw for 30 seconds or so with the engine idling and closed it again the car would then lift, as you're helping it to prime faster. Again, a sure sign of an air leak if this helps.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

At least one good bit of news came out of all this, the original garage replaced all the spheres and most of the valves, hopefully for FREE? if indeed free, thats a rare thing to behold.

10 minutes for the STOP light to go out is a fault as Mandrake says, time now to start getting to the bottom of the problem.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Bick

Post by Bick »

Well,

1) Ive changed LHM and bled it though.

2) checked the suction hose - this seems to be in good condition.

And come to the conclusion that the accumulator sphere is ok as im not getting any clicking from the pressure reg valve.

So im looking at a lazy pump? Looks like ill live with it the way it is then :lol: