ZX TD Clutch cable / pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

ZX TD Clutch cable / pedal

Post by RichardW »

Put a new clutch and cable in the ZX a couple of weeks ago. Easy enough, and the result is a clutch pedal so light you can push it down with one finger (really!) - and which is now lighter than the throttle! Getting the new cable in was a game, though. Future owners of my house might be intrigued as to the function of two 1" holes drilled in the loft floor in the gargage to hang the chain hoist off! Decided to changet this clutch as it was very heavy (not good for people with bad backs!) and came in near the top - once off, it was close to the rivets, but would have probably gone on for another 25k without slipping. For the £150 it cost in parts, I would recommend it to anyone suffering similar clutch symptoms - it makes the car SO much nicer to drive!

However, whilst it works fine, the clutch pedal seems to have finished up a bit low - only abouty 100 mm above the floor - so lower than the brake pedal. We did have the pedal out to work out the clip (but I let my mate fold himself in the footwell :twisted: ), but I don't think we disturbed anything (I think it was lower before). I can't adjust the cable to bring the pedal up - doing so just makes the clutch slip :roll: without moving the pedal. I'm not all that bothered - have adjsuted it to give no slip, and biting point nicely in the middle of the travel - but we had to cut a bit off the end of the cable adjuster as it was sitcking into the air inlet pipe, and there might not be that much adjustment for the future (althgough I can overcome this by fitting a tube over the adjuster I expect to extend the range if needed).

Anybody know if there is a top stop on the pedal or similar, or had problems with this?

Oh, and giving the ABS rings on the driveshafts a damn good clean has stopped the ABS kicking in every time you go over a bump with the brakes on!
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Can you pull the pedal up to its former position, and if so, does it move the cable? If not something must be jamming the pedal, if you can is the outer part of the cable secure at both ends?