faint squeaking/whistling from turbo above 2500 revs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

icedillon

faint squeaking/whistling from turbo above 2500 revs?

Post by icedillon »

just started happening on my xantia hdi 2000W. 122K engine ok, power ok with no smakes etc.

Any suggestions?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Erm.....My Brother In Laws newly acquired ZX (bad purchase advise from me and Wilkobob :oops: ) did this at about the same revs, asked on here and they said it wasnt anything to worry about.....

now ive said that.....

You just know someone is going to blow me out the water and tell you 'there may be trouble ahead'

:wink:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

MY ZX TD does the same. I'm not worried about it, I just enjoy the sound it makes, I find that its quite reassuring to know that the damn thing is spinning!
French car free zone....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it goes OK but is noiser than usual, check the air intake pipe connection on the turbo, my XM did this a few weeks ago, in fact I could hear air 'whooshing' from somewhere, turned out that the clip had missed the pipe and it had come loose, refitting it cured the whistle and the whooshing. I rather liked the noise of the turbo though......
deian

Post by deian »

I have it too, I was worried too, and then I asked here, and they all said it's ok, turbo failure is very rare apparently. Only on the silly Fords you have failing turbo's whistling like wind.

My turbo whistles a bit at 3000rpm, but since going for a burn to Llandudno down the A55 last weekend I concluded that it worked fine. I was impressed to hear the turbo spinning at 100mph and you can 'feel' it pull (even at that speed too), so much you can see the movement as the bonnet marginally rises! And there was me thinking only old school big BMW's can do that. I love my car!
My Cars:

turbo noise

Post by 8304 »

my zx has its pressure and fueling turned up as below.

it sounds loud and goes a long way towards drowing out the diesel clatter when pulling away fast....

i like the noise - as soon as the noise starts the car launches :twisted: :D

change the oil every couple of months and dont turn them off imediatly after heavy use and it will be fine, they are quite tough really.....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")