Lower Ball Joint, Bearings, AntiRollbar Link??? -=thunk=-

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DaveW wrote:Am I the only one to find the terms to be rather imprecise.

"swivel" I assume has to be the hub-carrier. Is this a translation thing or how it would be described in France. ?

Pretty poor if they cannot describe things in a sensible manner in the actual Citroen workshop manual !

Dave.
Hi Dave,

I copied it exactly as it was written in the manual. It is the English version of the Citroen manual, but of course somebody has translated it from french....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Mandrake wrote: I copied it exactly as it was written in the manual. It is the English version of the Citroen manual, but of course somebody has translated it from french....

Regards,
Simon
I understand that, I was not getting at you or doubting what you had posted.
I just find the terminology a little weird.

Before I owned a Citroen, if someone had referred to a 'swivel' as part of a cars steering/suspension I would have assumed that they meant a ball joint. To me, the word 'swivel' just does not seem to fit as a description of a hub carrier.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DaveW wrote:
Mandrake wrote: I copied it exactly as it was written in the manual. It is the English version of the Citroen manual, but of course somebody has translated it from french....

Regards,
Simon
I understand that, I was not getting at you or doubting what you had posted.
I just find the terminology a little weird.

Before I owned a Citroen, if someone had referred to a 'swivel' as part of a cars steering/suspension I would have assumed that they meant a ball joint. To me, the word 'swivel' just does not seem to fit as a description of a hub carrier.
Yeah, the English can be somewhat amusing. For example in the Anti-sink documention they translate the system to "Constant ride height keeping Citroen System" :lol:

Not nearly as amusing as the english on the service manual for my old Daihatsu Charrade with it's Japanese English though. :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
doofah
My Cars:

Post by doofah »

Pmsl

Is there any point in replying here for help?? I think my thread got kidnapped and publically flogged!

Okay, Ball Joint done, Anti Roll Bar Links Done....

One final niggle!

Now when I have the car in too high a gear, when I accelerate I get this godawful rattle from under the car in the middle! Sometimes more to the passenger side.... I'm sure it wasn't there before..... unless I attributed it to something else...

Its only there when I accelerate in a higher gear than I should be in, and with a straight steering wheel (i think, it hasn't done it cornering yet)

So I switched back the ARBL that was fine from before, and tried again. Same problem. Considering switching the other ARBL, but all this chopping and changing is doing my head in!

Any suggestions?

Incidently, I found that the anti-roll-bar has been rubbing against the wishbones! Weird!! It's left nice pits on either side of the ARB... is this normal???

All proud though!! My first real repair went well, but left me with a noise I'd attributed to the faulty components I've already replaced, but in actual fact is probable an entirely different problem...
White 93 Xantia 1.9TD - Old enough to know better...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If it's happening when accelerating straight ahead, and coming from the middle, surely its worn out engine mountings ?

It could be letting the engine move enough to touch any one of a number of things - for example the exhaust may be touching on the body, which will certainly make a big noise...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
doofah
My Cars:

Post by doofah »

[sigh] checked them, and so did the garage...

I put her in the garage at 9am (Milton St Motors, Crook, Co Durham - free advert for them) explained that I was going on holiday in a few weeks and need the car ready to take kids 300miles there n back... they quickly put her on the ramps, checked her over, took her for a drive, back oin the ramps. Sent me home.

Now, 2pm, they call and say there's nothing wrong.

Now the noise has settled into place... a sound like someone roller-blading at the drivers side front of the car, when in a higher gear than the engine is comfortable with.

Also, the rev counter has taken to intermittantly jumping up to 2000, 3000 and back down again on idle.... with no change in the actual engine....

Oil change, and possibly gear oil change still going ahead as planned tonight, as well as another look around the engine bay, under the car, around all trims and mounts - until I find the problem or give up.

Any citroen guru's in or near the Co Durham area that would be available for me to visit in the evening sometime? I checked the thread but none were listed lol...

Slowly I'm starting to wish I had another car, but I love my cit, her quirks, and the great looks you get when you elevate yourself at the mcdonalds drive thru!! hehe...

Curt
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there is not many cars that would not rattle and shuder when being driven in to higher gear for the road speed
regards malcolm
doofah
My Cars:

Post by doofah »

Think I've solved it...

You can all laugh now :)

The Ar intake that runs from the front bumper into the air box wasn't attached to any thing at all, and has been bouncing around in there for god knows how long.

Now I've found where it goes, and an obvious bolt hole to hold it there, but there's no bolt. For now I've cable tied it until i have more time, but the rattle is massively reduced.

Also tightened up everything I could find a torque setting for, and all the trim, flaps and guards lol, spent yesterday with a socket set, torque wrench, lots of torque keys and a torch to see into those dark areas.

Incidently, for those looking for something more reliable than a haynes (provided you actually know the names of the bits lol) I have a 'Pocket Mechanic' manual for the xantia, which has been invaluable. Believe it or not I picked it up on Ebay after struggling to find a xantia haynes manual when I first got the car. It takes you directly through everything, from changing oil through overhauling the turbo to stripping down the hydraulic system and overhauling its components.... pretty impressive and much better than haynes attempt according to the mech I had to lend it to while he checked the car over.

I subsequently bought the haynes and noticed loads of discrepancies. Although being a novice, it does give some useful help at times... somewhere to place a washer, out of the way, or something to put under your head whilst tightening up the ARBLs lol...

Given that the pocket mechanic book was the one that wasn't being slagged off by everyone in the forums I've stuck with it - when I get chance I'll post a link or something to where you can buy it :)

regards and thanks!!

Curt
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is it by peter rusuk they are very good
regards malcolm
doofah
My Cars:

Post by doofah »