had a ride in an XM today (citreonxm's)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

i've been reading some reviews on carsurvey.org.... seems a nice car, 2.5 turbo? must be quick, is it quicker than an e30 325i (170bhp 140mph and 0-60 in 8.5seconds)?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

deian wrote:i've been reading some reviews on carsurvey.org.... seems a nice car, 2.5 turbo? must be quick, is it quicker than an e30 325i (170bhp 140mph and 0-60 in 8.5seconds)?
I'd imagine the actual performance figures would be the same but you're comparing a car the size and weight of an Xm to one the size of a Xantia! Plus, I'd guess, the BMW would be a bit lightweight ontop of being the Xantia's size. The Cx, in it's day was tested against the bigger beemers among many other sizes and breeds - it was always difficult to pigeonhole it for the roadtesters and was normally compared to lesser competitors by price not design/ability - it was always priced low yet offering limo ride etc!!

Unofficially, the talk is the T2 in it's last few years of manuafacture had a true 185bhp or thereabouts in it's standard guise but Citroen were lazy about getting type approval/updating etc. After all, it "only' got an intercooler and a better ratioed gearbox on the 168bhp 145+ motor it started out with in 1984...

Mind, let's just say, if it all went "well wrong" at the 140max I'd MUCH RATHER be in the Cx over the 3 series BMW EVERYTIME...

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The early CX turbos were 168bhp and 217lb/ft and did 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, the later ones were indeed apparently 185bhp (torque figure unknown) and did 0-60 in 7.4 seconds. Apparently a bit more boost can bring that below 7 seconds without much trouble...

The thing that immediately strikes you driving a CX (2400cc or better) is the fantastic midrange torque which is a lot better than you would expect for the 0-60 time even on the lower models.

My Dad had a 2400cc carby 5 speed with a paltry 115bhp, and although the 0-60 time was only 10.5 seconds it would overtake up hills in high gears effortlessly, well beyond what you would expect of 115bhp. I can't even image what the turbo would be like to drive... :P

A late model series 2 2500 Turbo 2 CX is definately on my wish list.... :D

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The thing with the CX is the simple fact that the gearing isn't set up for 0-60 sprints as there's two gears needed to get it past 60!! It doesn't do too bad a job even so...

It IS the torque that you really do feel from the big lazy 4pot on the motorway in the mid range - these were intended to be true continent cruisers and at this task it's sublime. I still get goosebumps when I remember driving my turbo2 in France over 10 years ago now on those fantastic long meandering backroads with no traffic about for hours and hours. \:D/

Thankfully I feel the one's that are still in 'captivity' now are owned by those who actually KNOW what these things are about and are not being knocked about as a big cheap banger. They were until a short while ago and they're rarely seen now sadly.

A truly beautiful car! =D>

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 22 Apr 2006, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
deian

Post by deian »

So Andrew... did you get goosebumps? :wink:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Guess you'd have to have been there! :wink:

I'll tell you in a short while when I get one onto the road again in the next few weeks...
:P

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Incidentally, to whet any interest in these beasties, one of the more interesting turbos is well known in Cit circles and is simply referred to as CGAT! I know it's owner Neil, and I'm sure he wont mind my reproducing some piccys here for everyones entertainment...

It IS quite a special car BEYOND the paint job packing 400ish bhp winning awards and turning heads wherever it goes. A bit of a labour of love for Neil!!

TLet's just say the engine has had quite a bit of reworking but is basically still the same design that see's it origins in the DS and even the Traction Avant!! There aren't many car models/marques that can trace their DNA to such illustrious forebears...

Yep, beautiful cars...

Andrew
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Wow :lol:

That looks fantastic.... but my question is, what colour is it ? It seems to be a different colour in every picture, or is that because it's reflective and reflecting the colours of the surroundings ?

Also I don't think those particular alloys look quite right for the car... but otherwise, lovely :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The paint is an interesting subject of conversation with Neil. It's been done a good many times now and is carried out by the local Citroen Dealer at vast expense to other parties' insurance companies!!

I seem to remember the new paint is cheaper to buy and paint match than the car's previous mica pearl red/green/blue metallic that had an all pervading base ground colour of the car's original pale blue metallic - a bit more subtle perhaps than the all out "is it yellow, green or blue or is it black or purple" effect now!!

Incidentally, EVERY BIT of the paint is matched throughout the car including the door shuts, boot and engine bay...

They're 17" rims and were milled to special order by the wheel manufacurer at hideous expense. I personally prefer the 17" Alfa alloys I've fitted to mine, but hey, anything goes with the wheels on Cx's these days...

It used to eat brake discs and clutches and that was before Neil fitted parallel fuel injectors...

Andrew
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well this thread teaches you something - never let the CX crowd get into a thread about XM's! - they'll take it over!

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
deian

Post by deian »

Mandrake, do you not have two tone pearlescent type paint in new zealand?

not sure exactly how it works, but there are two colours to the metal flakes and they are sprayed in a special way on an angle, or there is some special technique of charging the body work to attract the paint flakes in certain way. It's quite expensive, and a lot of boyracers over here do it. But done properly is quite nice on the right car. Personally I don't think it's suits the CX.

If I remember correctly Rover did a version of the 200 series in blue/puprple as a standard colour, not a bad colour, shame about the car!

400BHP, too much for me though, nice car, but I still prefer the spaceship... XM.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the obession behind the CX. But the styling doesn't do it for me though. It's growing on me though, ever so slowly. Until I get to see one and experience one in the flesh I will still favour the XM, even over the Xantia!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

NiSk wrote:Well this thread teaches you something - never let the CX crowd get into a thread about XM's! - they'll take it over!

//NiSk
Ok fair point, I can go on about Xm's too but I think Cx's are much more betterer!! :wink:

Andrew
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Unfortunately, they (CXs) have all dissapeared into rust over here in southern Sweden - it must be something to do with the incredible amounts of salt they use on the roads - in fact it seems that all makes are liable to rust under these conditions!

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)