old spheres advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

WOW is all I cam say. i have just changed all 4 suspension spheres for less than £100
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I wonder though, with GSF prices as (comparitively) low as they are for spheres, If someone were to buy a load in the UK, and then ship them to Aus as a "gift" (I.E. not a new item) would that then avoid a whole load of taxes etc? since they're not coming from a company, but from one private individual to another private individual.

Just a thought... After all, you're paying the equivalent of over £100 per sphere, when I can buy them for ~£23 each. For a vehicle set of 5, that's £120+shipping rather than over £500 to buy new out there.
This is not a signature.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

fastandfurryous wrote:I wonder though, with GSF prices as (comparitively) low as they are for spheres, If someone were to buy a load in the UK, and then ship them to Aus as a "gift" (I.E. not a new item) would that then avoid a whole load of taxes etc? since they're not coming from a company, but from one private individual to another private individual.

Just a thought... After all, you're paying the equivalent of over £100 per sphere, when I can buy them for ~£23 each. For a vehicle set of 5, that's £120+shipping rather than over £500 to buy new out there.
Over here, customs charge taxes on the value of the goods shipped (not including the cost of shipping), so even gifts are supposed to have duty paid on them unless they're worth less than some small amount. For new spheres it would be charged at whatever their declared value was (i.e. not necessarily the price paid), second hand spheres have little more than scrap value, so if the new spheres were used they'd be cheaper to ship. What are the rules like in Oz and NZ ??

I've got a pile of spheres in the garage because its cheaper to buy new than it is to get them regassed, so they're scrap value as far as I'm concerned, they'd cost more to ship anywhere than they're worth. I'm sure some of them at least would be worth regassing, I'm sure other people on here have spheres lying around that they want rid of.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Kowalski wrote:... I'm sure other people on here have spheres lying around that they want rid of.
Dont we all ?
AFAIR I have 2 large cartons packed with old spheres ...

What is this very strange feeling : just when you are ready to throw the sphere in the bin, your hand wont let go ! Instead your body computer directs your hand to store this (crap) sphere on top of the pile in the large carton !
- certainly is a strange feeling I cant get rid of :roll:

Now sitting here relaxed and discussing this issue, my brain very well understands these old spheres are NUTS to keep on the shelf. But out there in my workshop I just love to see that pile grow ... :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Monkeyfeet,

I have a home made sphere pressure tester, this could be used to measure the pressure, then you could keep the ones that are holding say 30% and above for possible re gassing, then you could bin the remainder.

I reside about mid way between Bedford and Luton.

What do you think?... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers
Brian
Last edited by G4EIY on 21 Apr 2006, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Brian, that has got to be worth a go!
Esp as I think we might just live within the same village (poss spotted the BX's with am-rad aerial?) :wink:
One thing I'm certain of now: LHM smelling boxes hiding at the back of 100's of garages up and down the country.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Monkeyfeet wrote:One thing I'm certain of now: LHM smelling boxes hiding at the back of 100's of garages up and down the country.
Not in mine mate, all 4 old spheres went straight in the wheelie bin.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Monkeyfeet,

Yep, that could have been me...

I reside in a village with a by-pass.

Will send you another email with the details.

Cheers
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Mad Ax
My Cars:

Post by Mad Ax »

I was going to ebay my old spheres as replica WWI incendiary grenades.

They're a lovely military green colour, big round and heavy like bombs, and had enough rust on them to suggest they'd seen service in the trenches.

Unfortunately my old man threw them out before I had a chance to make any money out of some historical battle recreation society, or war memorabilia collector...