Xantia 16v 2.0i long-shot request!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andrew this is not the engine I found on the PR-net as any 2.0I 16V ?

My problem is that PR-net shows ALL the 2.0L engine variants with the oil dipstick at front.
Any engine looking like your picture - and with a rear located dipstick - would be either a 1.6L or 1.8L engine :?

What is the exact engine code on your engine ?
This is ultimatively important to get the correct parts.
Down the block on exactly the side viewed on your image usually is casted a code referring to the engine type/size.
On opposite side a tin plate or self adhesive sticker is found on the block with the engine code.

Certainly looks like your Xantia engine has been replaced some time over its life !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

andmcit wrote: LOOKING INTO THE ENGINE BAY THE ACTUAL DIPSTICK IS ON THE REAR LEFT OF THE ENGINE NOT THE MIDDLE FRONT!! [piccy shows the driver's eye view!!]

Surely the dipstick pictured is in the front right of the engine rather than the rear left ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Something is odd -

Lets get a close up picture of engine with the dipstick clearly visible.
- and find that engine code please !
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I bet that lumps been lifted from a 306 S16 or its ZX twin :wink:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

00000135R6 NEW PETROL ENGINE £4004.32 £4705.08 with VAT

Well, I did need cheering up! That price shouldn't really be funny but let's be serious, can they be!?

The engine is MOST DEFINITELY A XANTIA ONE - I've got 3 of em and they're not converted - trust me [I'm in advertising...:wink:]

I've even taken a picture of this apparent mythical beastie but it's currently downloading off my full digital camera!!

Ok, this is the engine in question, and look where the dipstick is...

And the breakdown illustration where I get part number:
05 1174 17 ENGINE OIL GAUG - INJECTION XU10J4 AND WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING, is on this screen;

I must have been removed off PR net about 10 times now, but it's been interesting logging back in today though!!

The way I see it, the time I'm wasting on PR.Net will save time at the local Cit PRATS counter on tuesday...

All the best,
Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

117417 ENGINE OIL GAUGE £7.24 £8.51 with VAT

Posh name for a dipstick mind. Let's see what this brings me...

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

COMPLETE WITH THE WRONG DIPSTICK - AT THE BACK LEFT!! BTW, it IS a dipstick pipe REALLY - I did check the owner's handbook.

Yes, OK - I know, it IS a skiddly effort of a battery isn't it. I did only get he car on Monday evening...

I'll happily accept there's evidence the engine MAY [just may mind] have been out of the car, as the 112k miles may have seen a new clutch but all the car's SH is lost forever! There are signs that someone has taken the trouble to reconstitute the sort of clips/plugs'n brackets that get a bit 'distressed' when it all get's ripped out for a clutch job.

This doesn't explain the other two L & M reg 16v 2.0i's I've got AND ANOTHER spare engine that all look the same!!

I've got 3x of the later silver banana manifold 16v's to know what they look like too...

It just may be possible I've got a decent dipstick on the spare engine I have, but there's the vague recollection that it had been smashed up a bit when the engine was moved about when I collected it...

Hohum

All the best,
Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Okay Andrew - so we agree then :lol:

I was completely confused by the rear (drivers eye) view on the engine.
You certainly had me tilted for a couple of hours there :lol:
- would be nice to have your report on the Citroen dealers visit tueday :!:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

andmcit wrote:
AndersDK wrote:Think some of you got me a bit wrong here ...

If you look above you will see I submitted the Citroen part no exactly for that dipstick to the early 2.0I 16V - nothing to explain. Just ask for that part no and pay your 10quid.

BTW : new dipsticks generally are approx 10quid from Citroen - in the 1.0-2.0 engine range.
Its certainly no worth riscing getting the wrong dipstick from the breakers at that price 8)
I agree entirely Anders - HOWEVER, there's a fair bet that my local Citroen guy may have trouble comprehending the concept that Xantias were actually produced and sold in the UK with PETROL engines as well as TD's!!

On top of this hurdle is a variety of 16v 2.0is's to contend with!!
I dont see the problem ? They don't need to know what it is or interpret it themselves, they just put the part number you give them into their computer and order it for you. That was the whole point of Anders looking up the number for you wasn't it ? :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Apologies for inadvertent mind-bending Anders!! I've been getting nowhere with imageshack today and was about to post the following as well, but they didn't like it - photobucket do though;

may have helped, but I thought the position of the gearbox would help things...

Simon; I've got the part number, as I've said already, I can but try it with them. Problem is, they do like to make a fuss and suck on their teeth and tut etc.

It's a BIG DEAL if you want something that isn't for a C3...

All the best, Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Actually, thinking it through, a phone call will actually get me more sense. Trust me I've had the misfortune in the past with this mob to have a car off the road for ages waiting for the CORRECT PART [which I did correctly order], to arrive and get me mobile again.

Credit where it is sometimes due - at least they're still there selling new Citroen parts even if they do try and make a real fist of things to make it more "challenging"
:lol:

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahhh bear with me ...

Even the fairly obvious location of the gearbox was no clever clue catching on me.

My day started at 9.30pm when S-I-L's B-I-L drove up my yard in his '95 ZX1.4 Prestige with a complete exhaust kit + 4 summer tyres to be fitted ...
S-I-L was instructed how to get started on that ZX project.
½ an hour later I Instructed my daughter how to clean all bits and parts for her Yamaha XJ750 (quad) carburettor ...
And I started get involved in a clutch change on S-I-L's BX diesel as he got stuck in removing gearbox ...
During breakfast wife reminded me that from tuesday on she would need her BX16 full time which means I better get started sorting out my big coolant loss on my BX trd Estate ...
The rest of the day I ran back and forth betwen the projects and then in the middle of the party my second daughter and S-I-L dropped in. This time some really nice cakes which had to be eaten up followed by lots of coffee ...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Well, did I get a chance to speak to the local Cit guys and/or order a new dipstick? Er no, not yet at least...

The plot thickens!

Things just took yet another bizarre turn on this subject yesterday when I checked with the other wuns!!

Now there seem to be two EXACT identical dipsticks dimensionally although one is definitely an orange red and the other a kind of murky yellow trying to be orange...

But that's not the problem! Yep, they're not exact enough it seems! The notch for min max is 1/4 of an inch different in position from the sump end of the dipstick comparing them yet both engines are in L reg 2.0i VSX 16v's, so I'm now foxed!!

And in my daze I forgot to look at my other 16v to check what that has, or check all their RP numbers!! :lol:

I'll probably just get a new one for £10 but I'm using a one that actually seals the feed pipe irrespective of what it's saying!!

All the best, Andrew
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

This may be related to the problem I just have with my dipstick.
The stop is dissolving and the stick goes in until it hits something metallic, hopefully only the sump.
I have put rubber stops on it for now to prevent it going too deeply.
It looks like the sort of dipstick depends on whether the car has air conditioning, or not.
Aircon would have an alloy sump, like mine, and non-aircon a pressed metal sump.
My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], and PR-Net shows this stick, part Nº 1174 12

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Brilliant Clogzz, Of course that'll be the difference - one car is AC the other not so the sump will be different! God, I'm annoyed with myself now that I didn't realise. Mind, I haven't been scrabbling around the other cars lately to compare their sump with the one I'm trying to sort the dipstick out on... :wink:

Andrew