cheap xanata, what to look for?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

the cheapest option is to increase the boost - 8psi is stock and 11psi is what i run it at , many people run it just below the 1 bar limit ;)

haven`t thought of a chip - although i have considered a cam ; the stock cam is so lazy its near enough horizontal! - its similar profile to a 1.4 :(

so even a mild cam is actually an improvement over the whole rev range
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

Concerning the Xantia I would recommend the Xantia HDi as the best Xantia ever built. It's a superb engine - much more economical and silent than the 2.1td and yet very reliable. It is worth the extra cost over the 2.1td.

Concerning the CT engine, just by changing chip, power will go from 147 to 177 bhp and torque from 173 to 209 ft/lb (283NM).
With this change it gets faster than the V6 and gives much more fun, since torque is available at earlier RPM's.

If you are a DIYselfer with deep knowledge in hydropneumatics, go for Xantia HDi Activa. This suspension handles uncomparably better than the HA2 or non-HA suspensions (at the expense of just some comfort, but quite acceptable).

If you're not going to fix it by yourself, don't buy a Citroen - buy a Honda instead. :wink: :twisted:
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I think it all boils down to the petrol/diesel debate. I myself hate diesels BUT i would definately have a Xantia HDi should the right one come along.

I would never swap my V6 for one though. All i can say is that the V6 is my engine of choice. Its powerful, refined and not that thirsty. Straight from the manufacturer with no messing about.
1983 2CV6 Charleston 110k (Re-build in op!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo
1991 BX GTi 4x4
1989 BX GTi 4x4
1991 BX GTi Auto
1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

i have a lil 306TD for town driving - the xan is just too thristy for the short trips i usually do,

the 2.2 HDI is a darn good engine

heck the 110 bhp 1.6HDI is amazing (the new one) and the 136bhp 2 litre is well :O

and the V6 HDi?

well ;) - i have driven one :D

thats an OM golly gosh when you push the throttle
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I'm doing about 100 miles a day in my V6 so i could look at it one of 2 ways.

1, its quite expensive to run but i do a reasonable mileage so i want something nice and comfy and effortless.

2, its too expensive so i'll get a diesel.

Basically i work on option 1. I work b1oody hard at work and want to treat myself to something i love...

Also 'er indoors loves the V6 so its staying as my daily driver!
1983 2CV6 Charleston 110k (Re-build in op!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo
1991 BX GTi 4x4
1989 BX GTi 4x4
1991 BX GTi Auto
1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

I've found the HA2 suspension of the Xantia V6 a little stiffer than the HA2 found on Xantia HDi/2.1td/1.8. Maybe it has a more sportive setting...

A diesel is still a diesel. Bad smell, no music, no high RPM, ... Have tried a few of the most recent diesels (MB S400 CDi, Audi 5.0 V10 and 3.0 V6 TDi, PSA-Ford 2.0, Honda 2.2).
If money no object petrol is the way to go.
If economy is the goal, I recommend the new 1.6HDi 110Hp or the old 2.0HDi 110Hp.

Unfortunately Citroen/Peugeot makes no particulary good petrol engines.
For instance, the hi-tech Honda 2.4 i-VTEC does as well as a PSA 3.0 in terms of performance, but is much more economical and still more reliable.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I will never give my Activa HDi up for anything in the world!!!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Honda wrote: Unfortunately Citroen/Peugeot makes no particulary good petrol engines.
For instance, the hi-tech Honda 2.4 i-VTEC does as well as a PSA 3.0 in terms of performance, but is much more economical and still more reliable.
Please tell me you're joking!!!!!!!!

I've yet to see a petrol PSA engine to wear out. Have seen many Hondas go bang in the process. I know in recent times Honda have cleaned their act up, but unless they have changed an aweful lot, whilst they might be high tech and all that, reliability was never their long suit over high mileages; good when new, but when money has to be spent, there's usually plenty needed.
PSA engines usually fall down due to dodgy repairers and on that point I have no doubt the Japs have it much better organised, but I can't see that something that will shred tyres in a short period of time is necessarily a "better" engine and that's coming from someone who is closely related to the owner of a business that does a lot of general modification and rectification work on Jap cars, Hondas included, in a country where Jap cars have been in the majority for a long time.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

AlanS -

Please note Honda's avatar. He is a Honda lover and can not understand the french way :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

First I wasn't joking. Secondly, I was quoting PSA! :!:
PSA concluded they petrol engines had 'stop in time' and decided to slowly start using other brands engines.
The problem is nowdays PSA sells mostly diesel engines, and there is no return on petrol engines sales to pay the development of modern petrol engines.
Therefore they decided to go for jointventures or borrow directly the engines. In a couple of years PSA will only manufacture/use other brands petrol engines, mostly japanese. In some cases, PSA supplies their diesel engines to the other brands, since they are the best small diesel engines.

- On the low range the 1.0 engine found on new Peugeots and Citroens is already a Toyota engine.
- The new BMW/PSA 1.6 is not a clear example, as there still is some PSA contribution on the design.
- The new 2.4 to be found on Citroens and Peugeots from 2007 will be a Mitsubishi engine.

PSA decided to «make what we make better - diesel engines».

Concerning reliability, there is no possible comparison between french and japanese. My our your personal experience based on a few hundred cases means nothing - Check France official statistics based on millions of repairs on official dealers: Top 5 is occupied by 5 japanese brands! Amazing. German adac gets to the same conclusion. Even in Germany a japanese car is more reliable than a german car! :shock:
Well, german mechanics are very reliable (except for Opel), the problem is new german cars come loaded with electronics stuff that is not reliable, providing an average final score on the charts.

Citroen makes wonderful suspensions and Citroen-Peugeot makes the best small diesel engines (up to 2.0). Nothing else.
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

Rostami wrote:I will never give my Activa HDi up for anything in the world!!!
It' funny - I've seen exactly the same attitude from other owners regarding cars like:

- Renault 5 1.0
- Fiat Uno 45
- VW Golf TDi
- Honda Civic 1.4
- Peugeot 106

All uninteresting/dull cars.

Radical/emotional statements like those have no meaning.
Also, should not be trusted, as they were all wrong - they gave them up in the end.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

ROFL @ golf TDi as uninteresting - the 150bhp will tear your little honda apart

and pug 106? i guess you`ve never heard of the GTI version then
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

The guy I know who loved the Golf had a 110Hp TDi. He now drives a BMW 320d 163Hp.
Yet, I heard from a VW dealer VW itself considers the Golf 1.9 TDi 150 the most unreliable engine manufactured by the brand in the last 10 years.

Concerning the 106, the mate who had one had the 1.1 version!
Now he has a Opel Astra 1.7 i-cdti 100Hp.
You're entirely wrong again - I myself owned the 106GTi cousin - The Saxo 1.6i 16V 120Hp. They are enjoyable toys but lack muscle. Top speed is only 205km/h and torque is too low and only useful after 4000RPM.

Even the new PSA 2.0 180Hp (206 our C4) or the previous 2.0 167Hp (306 and Xsara) lose to the Honda 2.4 manual in every chapter (0-100km/h, 0-140km/h, tos speed, 400m, 1000m, 400/1000m from 40km/h in 4th, 5th, 6th).

The amazing thing is that the Honda Accord is faster being a large family sedan, while all those PSA models aren't.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Even the new PSA 2.0 180Hp (206 our C4) or the previous 2.0 167Hp (306 and Xsara) lose to the Honda 2.4 manual in every chapter (0-100km/h, 0-140km/h, tos speed, 400m, 1000m, 400/1000m from 40km/h in 4th, 5th, 6th).
As our American cousins are fond of saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches!" So are we so suprised that the 2.4 Honda engine is more powerful than the 2.0 PSA engine? On top of which, the Honda has very high tech V-TEC and The PSA engine doesn't. I'm not sure that they can be shown as a direct comparison.

Having said that, I like a big engine and miss my Cavvy V6 (but not the fuel bills), but I'm very happy with my ZX TD, and wouldn't change it ever!!

PS that last bit was a lie, I'd change it for something with more power and better fuel economy and wider tyres and more comfortable seats and more than two speakers for the stereo and air-con. But I've got no money to spare and a mortgage to pay. So I'll stick with what I've got!!

Laters

Pete
French car free zone....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

So we have some idiot here who thinks that it is clever to push Honda in a French car forum. Anybody who hasn't realised that we are here for another reason than to have
Honda's products rammed down our throats must have been brainwashed. Personally, I'll stick with the dirty mind and engines that can be economically repaired when they break. Quite unlike any Honda I've seen over the last 45 years.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.