Xant: suspension behaviour questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ciaran
My Cars:

Re: Xant: suspension behaviour questions

Post by Ciaran »

deian wrote:Hi, I've got a 98 2.1TD Xantia (Hydractive II), now I was 'excercising' the suspension... putting it up, then down, then back to the middle, but upon going from bottom to the middle i heard a squeeling/whinning noise (me thinks not a belt) coming from what I think to be the hydraulic pump. Is this a bad sign?

Also, how is it suposed to go up/down... in little steps (as it clicks away) quite slow too, reaching most of the way then finishing off the last 1/4 of the movement to the top after a few seconds? or is suposed to be smooth and pretty quick?

So any advice or experiences from anyone who knows?

(It handles amazingly for a big heavy car, really gave it some stick seeing as the roads have dried out, I think a set of good tyres would benefit a lot too, as the suspension leaves a lot of work for the tyres to cope with)

Thanks people.
I'd agree with what Mandrake says, regarding the flat accumulator sphere.

My Xantia has a flat accumulator, and behaves exactly as you describe. Frequent ticking while rising, front going up in 'stages', pump squealing while it happens...
I'm not too worried at the moment, because it's not currently in use, however it will soon be, so obviously that'll be replaced as a matter of urgency. The front strut tops are worrying me more actually....
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:found it, yes there is four in the front too, ok so talking about the lower ones, lets say one is pointing towards the drivers side (the one by the radiator), and the other towards the passenger side (the gearbox one). Which one is the accumulator sphere? I take it the other is the anti-sink. And on the back, which is which, one is in the middle and the other is between the middle and the drivers side. Thanks, I've got pics, but after looking i found them, just need to distinguish the difference now.

Deian
Dude,

I don't mean to sound impatient, but please re-read my posts as I've explained very clearly and as well as possible over a medium like text how to tell which sphere is the accumulator sphere in 3 different messages, including a link which has some very clear labeled pictures showing which one is which.

If you're still not sure, perhaps you should be getting someone else to do the job for you this time. :? (no offense)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

yes sorry simon :oops:, i went back and re-read the posts, and all is clear now, please accept my apologies.

deian
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:yes sorry simon :oops:, i went back and re-read the posts, and all is clear now, please accept my apologies.

deian
No worries...

Was just wondering if I was going crazy or not as you didn't seem to be noticing what I was saying :wink:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive