Which Xantia??????????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

MY XANTIA

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi

Can ANYONE help with the owners hand book Please?

Thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi fridgedoc,

French-registered, LHD, split rear seat, map reading lamp etc ... you've got an SX.
Story in French here, let me know if anything more needs translating:

http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum/sh ... php?t=2612

SX (direction assistée, fermeture centralisée, compte-tours, vitres AV électriques, banquette 40/60 en plus, lecteur de carte)

SX (power steering, central locking, rev counter, front electric windows, 40/60 split seat, and map reading light)

Bon amusement avec la bagnole !
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

That section on "reliability" looks interesting.... Google makes a half hearted attempt to translate it, but some things still don't make sense...I'm particularly interested in what it says about the suspension and brakes...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Clogzz
My Cars:

Translation

Post by Clogzz »

Translation:

Reliability:

phase 1: plein de problemes au debut mais amélioration de la fiabilité au fil des millésimes, peu de grosses pannes.
Mk I: Plenty of problems at the beginning but improvement of reliability over the years, few major breakdowns.

Moteur HDi: rares cas d’incidents sur les injecteurs des premières versions (résidus d’usinage ou eau dans le gazole); baisse soudaine de régime possible.
HDI engine: rare instances of ‘incidents’ on the injectors of the first versions (manufacturing debris or water in the fuel); sudden drops of engine speed possible.

1.8 90 ch, 1.8 16v et 2.0 16v: à-coups d’injection à l’accélération avant 99.
1.8 90HP, 1.8 16V and 2.0 16V: shuddering injection when accelerating before 99.

1.8 16v: surconsommation d’huile (problème de soupapes et de guides de soupapes) avant 98; cas de rupture de la courroie de distribution avec rappel des modèles 96 et 97
1.8 16V: excessive oil consumption (valve and valve guide problem) before 98.
Instances of broken cambelts with recall of 96 and 97 models.

2.1 td: quelques problèmes de faisceau électrique pouvant occasionner une perte de puissance soudaine avec rappel fin 97.
2.1TD: some electric wiring loom problems that may cause sudden power losses with recall in late 97.

Freins: perte partielle d’assistance ou dysfonctionnements de l’ABS sur quelques modèles après restylage.
Brakes: partial loss of power assistance or malfunctions of the ABS on a few models after facelift (meaning Mk II)

Boîte de vitesses: synchro de 3ème parfois craquant avant 99.
Gearbox: 3rd gear synchro sometimes crunching before 99.

Suspension: incessantes variations d’assiette, en particulier sur Hydractive ; incidents divers (pompe haute pression, répartiteur hydraulique, vannes, clapets), surtout avant 95.
Suspension: constant changes of ride height, particularly on the Hydractive;
Various incidents (high pressure pump, flow divider, ports and valves), especially before 95.

Climatisation automatique : débit d’air parfois insuffisant avant 99.
Climate control: sometimes insufficient air flow before 99.

Autoradio : mauvaise réception, antiparasitage insuffisant.
Car radio: bad reception, insufficient interference suppression.

Google's translating machine is just good if you want to see what a language from outer space looks like.
fridgedoc
My Cars:

My Xantia SX

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi All

Thanks to Clogzz and the site he found I'm 99% sure I've got an SX, also found where the owners hand book is kept, I do not think the last owner knew it was there, it's like NEW, not a mark on any of the pages.

A BIG thanks to anyone who has been looking for me.

Moving on.... I don't think the last guy had a lot of maintenance done to the car only when it went wrong, from the look of it the timing belt and hydraulic pump have been changed, do I flush the hydrauliques and refill the system? will get the wheels off and check the pads, oil change and oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, I guess there is a fuel filter?

Any advice? is there anything else that should be checked, changed?

Thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Well, say that this is filling in until the experts arrive, because I don't know much about diesels.
The fuel filter is under the bonnet in a filter housing, and the housing itself is an area of problems.
The housing could be easier to replace than it is to take the filter out, and the new housing may already come with a new filter in it.

The LHM is 'recent' if it's a bright green.
If it's turned amber or brown, it needs changing.
It gets syphoned out through the top of the tank, and then the tank can be loosened and tilted sideways to remove the hose block that contains 2 filters that may need cleaning.
There is no flushing, but normally the brakes would need bleeding because the LHM does not circulate through the brakes.

As for the pollen filter, it can be washed, dried and ‘scented’ for re-use.

Bon bricolage !
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Clogzz

Thanks for your reply, I'm in the same boat, know very little about diesels and even less about Citroens, had one many, many years ago, when I was a boy (ouch!), checking the colour of the LHM is interesting will have to do that, although just changing it, to be be sure, might be the best bet, the fuel filter sounds like a pain in the butt, will have to take a look and see if I can locate it.

I'm off on a 1250km round trip to France the end of the month so I need to have the car in tip top condition before I go, and I am a great believer in changing oils and filters, for the amount they cost, is it worth taking the risk, the same with tyres.

I hope somebody on here can point me in the right direction or maybe I've covered everything?

Now that I've got full insurance, Ive been driving around, everything seems ok, apart from a little groan from the front suspension as she rises the first time, something might need a little lub? the ride seems good and I've pushed down on all four corners, no sloppy bounce, it had been left standing for a few months so that may have something to do with it?

The weather here has been cold -2 overnight and she starts first time on the button, no smoke, and the engine sounds sweet, so hopefully everything (Fingers Crossed) should be OK.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

fridgedoc wrote:Hi Clogzz

Thanks for your reply, I'm in the same boat, know very little about diesels and even less about Citroens, had one many, many years ago, when I was a boy (ouch!), checking the colour of the LHM is interesting will have to do that, although just changing it, to be be sure, might be the best bet, the fuel filter sounds like a pain in the butt, will have to take a look and see if I can locate it.
A tip for checking the colour of the LHM - don't just shine a torch in through the hole in the top and look at the colour of it that way, as you can be easily fooled!

I did this when I bought my Xantia and it looked the normal green colour however when I first bled the brakes I noticed the oil was red. :evil: When I did a full LHM change I discovered that some idiot had put what apeared to be gearbox ATF in it, and it was about 95% red, 5% green with the green floating in a thin layer on top of the red... ](*,)

If you want to check the colour without draining you could try using a clear plastic film canister with a wire hook attached as a "scoop" to sample the oil and hold it up to the light to see the true colour.
Now that I've got full insurance, Ive been driving around, everything seems ok, apart from a little groan from the front suspension as she rises the first time, something might need a little lub? the ride seems good and I've pushed down on all four corners, no sloppy bounce, it had been left standing for a few months so that may have something to do with it?
Yep, most likely the front suspension strut cylinders could do with lubricating. If you lift the suspension to maximum height and then back down to normal height does it also let out a groan ?

Try a forum search for threads talking about strut lubrication, there have been a few of them...including a couple of detailed descriptions from me (and others) on how to do it...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
fridgedoc
My Cars:

My Xantia

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Simon

Thanks for the tips, I will go a searching.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline