Xantia V6 starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Xantia V6 starter

Post by xantia_v6 »

The starter on my V6 is becoming a little tempramental, if sometimes just goes Clunk. So far it always turns over on the second or third attempt. From the size of the clunk, I am sure that the solenoid is throwing the dvrive into mesh, but either the brushes are worn/sticking or the main contacts in the solenoid are not closing.

The car has just done 100,000 miles, with a lot of motorway driving, so I am a bit surprised if the brushes are worn.

Any hints as to whether brushes or solenoids give trouble?
Is the V6 starter interchangeable with anything else?

TIA
Mike
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think really you have answered your own question. Its either the brushes, not necessarily worn but making intermittent contact because they are sticking, or the solonoid is not always going fully home and closing the contacts. You have three choices really, recon or secondhand starter, take it to your local friendly auto electrician or strip it down yourself.
Last edited by Peter.N. on 06 Mar 2006, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

I think you should check the battery terminals/earth points. (do the easy and cheap things first is my moto :wink: )
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...or as zzfool says, check the electrics. If it was a poor connection problem, other than an engine earth, you will see the panel lights dim or go out when you try to engage the starter.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some Citroens have a heavy duty plug in the battery/starter lead somewhere near but underneath the battery tray. Yours may not have one but its worth following the lead and having a look.

A better way of checking the lead and connection continuity is to measure the voltage across it. What I mean is that you can test the battery to starter motor earth continuity simply by connecting the voltmeter - lead to the battery - terminal (post if you can get at it) and the positive to the starter body. Set to 12 volts for safety and operate starter and observe. If you get a reading of more than 0.25 volts you've found your problem. Ideally I'd say it should be a bit less than 0.25 volt. You can do the same for the positive terminal. and in fact may find that this method shows up a fault in the starter solenoid if you can access the lead from it to the motor. (I was surprised to find I can get at this lead on our ZX 1.9D)
jeremy
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

This happened to the starter on my V6. I took it out, dismantled it, cleaned it up, bit of grease here and there, put it back together and it's been ok ever since :D
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm