broken 205 locking wheel bolt adapter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dch1950
My Cars:

broken 205 locking wheel bolt adapter

Post by dch1950 »

Hi everyone,
I have broken 2 of the 4 pins on the lock wheel bolt adapter and thus am left with wheels that won't come off.! Any suggestions as to how I can undo them would be appreciated as I need to replace brake discs and struts for MOT.
regards
Dave H
stevieb

Re: broken 205 locking wheel bolt adapter

Post by stevieb »

dch1950 wrote:Hi everyone,
I have broken 2 of the 4 pins on the lock wheel bolt adapter and thus am left with wheels that won't come off.! Any suggestions as to how I can undo them would be appreciated as I need to replace brake discs and struts for MOT.
regards
Dave H
I used a very large impact grade steel socket intended for Land Rover wheel bolts. I think it was 36 or 38mm. I basically smacked it onto the old bolts as hard as I could and created my own hexes.

Worked a treat :)

Needless to say I had to replace the locking wheel bolts straight away though... :? More expense. :evil:
dch1950
My Cars:

locking wheel bolt removal

Post by dch1950 »

Hi again,
I have spent the best part of 2 days researching a way out of this problem.
removal tools as per laser tools (Southam) only work on the dish headed NUTS.The 205 GTi has cylindrical headed bolts with a 4-way key.
Yhe ony practical way I think is to repar the broken key adapter which I am going to attempt this w/end. I have found some hardened dowel pins of approx the right size and will try a drill out and replace exercise on the 2 sheared pins.I will keep you informed if it works.(could be a new business possibility here.)
regards
Dave.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

You've found the same snag I had. The removal tools are way too small.

That's why I used a hardened socket on the bolts I had (same as yours). I have the socket here actually - it's a 27mm (sorry about giving wrong size before - I was thinnking of the one required for removing the hub nuts). I seem to remember I got it from Halfrauds, and bought a set of new locking bolts at the same time.

I'll get a pic taken and show you what happened to the bolts.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Peugeot latest design of locking wheel bolts are much better, I dont know if they would fit a 205 or the older Pugs, You would need to check with a main dealer.

The 4 pin ones where very good & a sod to remove without the key, It was the weak metal the key was made from that let these ones down.

Then they went on to some splined version that is total rubbish & easy to remove with a socket so dont even bother with those.

Now Peugeot are using a new beefed up design of the 4 pin style BUT with a key that is much better designed & made + wont snap the pins off, These new design of bolts are also Thatcham Cat 4 approved :wink:

In fact PSA Peugeot / Citroen are the ONLY car manufacturer to have locking wheel bolts on the Thatcham approved Cat 4 list, All the other Cat 4 nuts / bolts are after-market made.
dch1950
My Cars:

The universal removal tool

Post by dch1950 »

Hi all,
Has anybody seen (or used )the tool by Dynomec Ltd of Castleford?
The video on their website seems a bit impressive and the device itself is claimed to remove any style of of lock device - nut or bolt or torx.
They calim to supply the AA which probably means remortgaging to buy one.
Might be available through a good tool hire shop though.
I am not going to beaten by this problem.
Will report any progress
Dave.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

You need one of these...

...which you bash onto these...

Needless to say it's pretty hard going on your back, as you're not at the best angle, but I used a large lump hammer and got the socket on quite easily - I'd been on a run first and taken the chill out of all the metal components too - theoretically it might've made slackening the bolts a little easier.

EDIT - Let me resize those images...
Last edited by stevieb on 05 Mar 2006, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

stevieb wrote:EDIT - Let me resize those images...
See if you can make them a bit bigger..... :lol:
This is not a signature.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Have you tried a Peugeot main dealer?

Ask the mechanics in the workshop, Many have a box full of old / spare locking wheel nut keys

Beer tokens works wonders :wink:
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

fastandfurryous wrote:
stevieb wrote:EDIT - Let me resize those images...
See if you can make them a bit bigger..... :lol:
I tried...

But failed... :oops:

:P

The bash-on-a-socket theory would only work with sufficient clearance around the bolt heads. My 406 has the same bolts and adaptor, but there is no clearance in the alloys to get this socket in - I know, I've tried - so I need to get these changed pretty quick before one of them seizes and I'm REALLY bu**ered.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I had the same prob on my 405.

When I bought it there was NO key!

The local garage (good guy not monkey!) had this tool that gripped the locking nut tighter and tighter as it was undone. Maybe its the tool the AA use.

It took him seconds to get them off.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
dch1950
My Cars:

we're coming to a conclusion I think.

Post by dch1950 »

Hi everyone,
I have pepperpot alloys on my 205 and the clearance problem is going to be the the cruncher as it is minimal and hammering a socket in will just cause a a bounce back.Hoping to get more info on the Dynomec device today.
Dave.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Have you tried a fast fit tyre place? They often have the special socket for customers who look at them blankly when asked about the locking bolt key.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I guess another alternative is to fabricate a new tool. A piece of suitable diameter steel pipe, and a lot of patience with an angle grinder would do the trick.

But that would take ages.

Otherwise I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas.
dch1950
My Cars:

the saga goes on

Post by dch1950 »

Hi everbody,
I have been in touch with Dynomec Ltd.This company just makes tools for locking wheel nut removal and are very helpful.They suggest that as 2 out of the 4 pins are intact that an impact driver will be sufficient to undo the offending nuts.They do supply (and also train) the AA so joining and then making a callout ,whilst not particularly ethical is a last port of call as all service vans carry the main Dynomec device.
The tool itself costs £130 plus and is sold as an "industry level" tool.They will,of course take Joe Publics money though.
I must say thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far and I'm sure that this is a far more common problem than we think and is not restricted to PUG owners.Strangely enough the local Peugeot dealer has never heard of this device.Dur.
I will report further progress soon.
Dave.