Replacing BRAKE Pads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Good Idea

Post by ACTIVE8 »

BonceChops wrote:You could always take a couple of digital photo's along the way if your not sure. Then you can nip inside for a brew and a warm while you study the pictures.
Yes that's a good idea, reference information, and an opportunity to warm up properly, and have a brew. :)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: How To Fit Pads Correctly

Post by Kowalski »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Interesting story on this subject in this months Car Mechanics magazine.
The story which is in the trade tricks section is about how someone had fitted a set of pads for a friend. The thing is the brakes were still noisy after the work, and the car visited the garage which is the source of the trade tricks section.

This was where it was apparent that the source of the noise, with the wheel off, and there is a photograph to prove it, was the brakes that this "friend" had worked on. This "friend" had fitted a pad round the wrong way. :shock:
Was this propaganda from the camp that wants all mechanics to need certification? Personally, I can strip and reassemble brakes safely.

I remember a program (Watchdog perhaps) where they took cars to various garages to get new brake discs and pads fitted and many of the garages didn't do a completely satisfactory job (e.g. not connecting sensor wires, not replacing split pins etc).

The worst situation I could think of would be being compelled to take your car somewhere where the mechanics were less than competent. Imagine if they didn't do a proper job, you could see that the job wasn't done properly but couldn't yourself sort it out, you had to take the car back to the garage.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

stop being a girl & get out there man! :lol: if you can still feel your fingers your not cold enough.
Seriously tho, I've also heared of the squeeling bake job with the bit that touches the disc, funny as mother reports hers is like it so looks like I know what I'm doing that weekend :(
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I know someone who, many years ago, took his Renault to the main agent to have front pads replaced. He collected the car and set of home. He had a little problem with his new brakes. When he investigated they had rebuilt the brakes without fitting the pads!! :shock:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

bxbodger wrote:There's only one way to check for pad wear- take the wheel off and look!!

If there's only a couple of millimeters or so of pad material left then change them.

Don't rely on sensors or warning lights- the pads may have been replaced in the past and the wires not reconnected or just cut off because of spurious signals.
Agree with bxbodger here!!

Taking the wheels off and having a quick look at the pads should be part of your 6 monthly maintainance checks, especially if you do high mileage....and is the only way to tell for sure.

I never rely on waiting for the dashboard wear light, and I have never seen one come on in any car I own - except when it shouldn't due to wires rubbing through and shorting to metal objects!

If the pad material is getting thin, replace them...not only are good brake pads a safety issue, but if you leave them until they're worn right down and screeching, they're usually eating up your discs as well, doing permanent and unnecessary damage to them.

When they get very thin brake pads also seem to start disintegrating - cracks and other nasties can form in the pad surface, I've even seen whole chunks of pad surfuce delalminate and fall off.

Citroen quote the following figures for new pad thickness and minimum pad thickness for the Xantia (not counting the backing plate):

266mm front discs - new pad 11mm, minimum 2mm
283mm front discs - new pad 12mm, minimum 3mm

saloon rear discs - new pad 11.4mm, minimum 2mm
estate rear discs - new pad 12mm, minimum 2mm

So there you have it, from the horses mouth. If they're under 2 or 3mm replace them.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I had the pads out of my 2.1 for the first time this weekend. What's odd is that there aren't any wear wires or even holes in the pads for them to go on.

The pads are lucas so it's not a case of cheap pads.
98 Xantia 2.1TD Estate 140,000mls
01 Xsara HDI, 130,000mls
97 Xantia TD, 240,000mls (died in france)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

In my experience when brake pads wear down to the brass rivets holding them in place the brakes always make a very loud grinding noise.. Ignore it your peril... oeerr.. :roll:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
awg2

Post by awg2 »

I've done BX's before and had no trouble winding the piston. Is the Xantia much different?
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Interesting story on this subject in this months Car Mechanics magazine.
The story which is in the trade tricks section is about how someone had fitted a set of pads for a friend. The thing is the brakes were still noisy after the work, and the car visited the garage which is the source of the trade tricks section.

This was where it was apparent that the source of the noise, with the wheel off, and there is a photograph to prove it, was the brakes that this "friend" had worked on. This "friend" had fitted a pad round the wrong way. :shock:
Kowalski wrote:Was this propaganda from the camp that wants all mechanics to need certification?
NO !

It was just pertinent information to do with the thread.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

James.UK wrote:brass rivets
I haven't seen any of those for a few years :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The pads (Teves) I got from europarts last month came with holes and a full complement of wires and connectors!!Two different types even!!

Pity I haven't got any wires left under the arch to connect them too...... :roll:
Last edited by bxbodger on 02 Mar 2006, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The pads (Teves) I got from europarts last month came with holes and a full complement of wires and connectors!!Two different types even!!

Pity I haven't got any wires left under the arch to connect them too...... :roll:
drewmunn

Post by drewmunn »

i'd say its a grinding noise, but not that loud and only if braking down an inline.

As to doing it in this weather - its either i die of the brakes failing or the cold with how long it will take me to do it.

Like the idea of a digi camera.

Wondering though with what your 're mainly saying is whether to get the garage to do em'. Least i can blame them then.

Any idea of what the cost range SHOULD be, if i provide the part?

Xantia TDS, LX (1995)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

bxbodger wrote:The pads (Teves) I got from europarts last month came with holes and a full complement of wires and connectors!!Two different types even!!

Same here, the pads I got for mine (mintex) came with nice new wires of the correct lengths and a mounting hole on both sides of each pad.

So much for lucas then.... :wink: (I've never been a fan of lucas pads)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

All of the front pads I've ever bought (for my Xantias) or seen have had the wires, even the cheap ones...