C5 V6 cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

yeah go for it if you can get them psa ones over hundred quid.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

If it were me I would have the water pump and tensioners changed whilst everything is stripped down for the cambelt change.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

AndersDK wrote:Cambelts do not wear visually - they wear by material fatigue.
Towards the end of their life they do. The surface of the belt begins to craze and crack, the teeth may develop root cracks, and there may be visible wear on the side of the belt where it has been running in the guides.

Every single XUD belt I've removed has had some sort of visual wear on it.

But I do agree with your statement that you should NEVER not change a belt just because it "looks ok"
This is not a signature.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

dnsey wrote:Someone here (sorry, can't remember who) recently mentioned that the idler bearings for some PSA engines are 'off the shelf' components, and can be replaced cheaply. Worth checking before buying new rollers.
The majority of ball bearings that you come across is a standard bearing, whether or not you can replace it with another standard bearing is a case of whether you can get it apart and back together again without damaging it. I wanted to replace the bearing on the aux drivebelt tensioner but I couldn't see how I'd get that apart and the bearing didn't look particularly standard either. In the end it got a new tensioner, I think for the cambelt, unless its obvious and easy to replace a tensioner bearing, getting a new tensioner makes sure that a badly repaired tensioner isn't a problem later on.