AntiRollBar Link....?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doofah
My Cars:

Post by doofah »

Hi kenny,

and thanks!

Are the droplinks a hard job? I've been quoted £60 a pop at best!

Not being a mechanic at all, but I do dive in every now and again with the haynes manual and a mechanic nearby in case of complete screw up! lol

re: indicators - it was the Hazard switch that had gone, £20 from Citroen was the best I could get a replacement for :(
White 93 Xantia 1.9TD - Old enough to know better...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Droplinks are a fairly easy job - good for getting practice with mechanical work - have a go! The most difficult bit is getting the old ones off, but if you get stuck, ask here and one of us will help you out :) make sure the car's properly supported - even though you're not working underneath, it could easily injure you if it fell.

The switch is a 'dealer-only' part, but a breaker would probably have charged you less than a quarter of the new price.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

AS dnsey said it's not a hard job and the difficult bit is getting the old ones off.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

If the droplinks are the ball-jointed type, then the threaded lengths will probably require a Torx bit to hold them still whilst you undo the nut. If this is the case, make sure you apply plenty of WD-40 (or similar) a good few days, every day, before you attempt the job. At worst make sure you have as much elbow room as possible, and plenty of patience.

And make sure you have the right size bit too. With Torx bits you might find the bolt a little bit bunged up with grime and decide the next bit size down is a good idea - this is fatal - as you'll find the smaller bit just slips and rounds everything out. Unless it splits the Torx "hole" in the bolt head first - then you really ARE knackered!!!

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm Doofah - just make sure you are well prepared and take your time. I've found that Torx fittings only spoil once -you can't easily file new flats on these bu**ers like you can with a nice hex-headed nut or bolt.

If you have the older style with just two normal sensible proper bolts holding each link on then it's a real doddle. These ones are actually a pleasure to do because of the massive improvement for such little effort :)
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

clean threads with a wire brush and loads of penetrating oil job done..
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Oh yes - don't economise by re-using the locknuts. Spend a few pence on new ones for peace of mind, especially if you're not confident at estimating torque (or have a torque wrench).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

easyest way if you have new drop link to hand and new nuts is get the angle grinder out and just chop off the old nuts,easy peasy
regards malcolm
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

DROP LINKS

Post by KennyW »

Doofah,

Just taken both linksd off o/s came no prob's, n/s required the bolt cut but job done in 30 mins including washing hands !!!!!

All you require is 18mm socket and some means of locking joint to remove nut, easy job.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.