C5 Headlight Bulb change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Ooh, don't go there!!!! I picked up a set of HID lamps for my C5, intending to do the same thing. Found out that they need yet another ECU for the self levelling function! Yes, thats right, even though the car self levels, so do the headlamps...something to do with regulations concerning HID lamps. The consensus was that the job MAY be possible, but it would be a major pain..... ECU, more programming with the Lexia, and so on.
The Halogen lamps on the C5 aren't at all bad actually, and now I've fitted some Silverstar bulbs they're even better.
If you want to upgrade to HID lamps, it would be much easier to use a conversion kit on the standard headlamps, something such as:
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/default.asp
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Kowalski wrote:Off topic but...

C5s are getting cheap now to the point where I'm tempted to upgrade to one. My major gripe with the Xantia (mostly with it being winter) is that the dipped headlights aren't so good, especailly when the car is covered in salt like it is now.

How do the C5 dipped beams compare to the Xantia dipped beams? Are the HID/Xenon headlights worth upgrading to on the C5?
is the head lamp lens on the C5 plastic,if so is the HID/Xenon bulb low U/V,because you are ment to use low U/V bulbs in head lamps with plastic lenses,aparently non low U/V bulbs discolour the plastic lenses
regards malcolm
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The C5 headlight lenses are plastic.
On the link I gave, it states categorically thet the HID lamps are low UV and can be used quite safely with plastic lenses.
I'm keen to fit a set of them, but I need to work out just where to put the ballasts. There's not much room around the headlamp area on a C5!