front shock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

But would he have looked more closely before replacing it?
dave j

Post by dave j »

exactly my point,
my car failed it's mot ,fair enough,but the examiner would not show me the leak,
if a garage does mot tests they have a duty to be fair ,not just to try and drum up work,
if there is a fault the least that they should do is show you the exact fault if you ask them to ,not just say it is faulty and thats that
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi,

It's the same anywhere in the world, if you want an unbiased test done, go somewhere that doesn't do repairs.

Here in NZ you have the choice of going to a "testing station" many (but not all) of which are run by the MOT, and none of which do repairs themselves, or you can go to a normal garage who also do repairs.

In my experience although you will find good and honest garages sometimes, more often than not I have been caught out when they try to add frivolous items to the list of "faults".

Also they often don't have the proper gear for testing the car as well as the MOT stations - for example they seldom have a proper drum based brake testing machine which can measure each brake individually and precisely - they typically just use an in car accelerometer and go for a test drive, which is USELESS if you get a fail on the brakes, because you don't know which ones aren't working...(and might also pass a car that has very good front brakes and poor back brakes)

My advice is to stick to the larger testing stations that have the proper gear and don't have a vested interest in doing repairs...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Hi
Nice to here I'm not the only one who's been to a dodgy mot station.
I had my xantia mot'd two weeks ago and the told me it needed new pads and discs on the front and the suspension was hard. I almost laughed in his face. I had new spheres fitted in december and i'd had all four wheels off the day before the test to check everything.

When I told him i wanted him to retest it while i was there to watch he said he was to busy and i'd have to rebook. I told him i would take the car to my father in laws garage for him to mot it, and if it passed i'd report him to vosa. He wrote me a certificate out straight away, no questions asked!!

I've used the same guy to mot my old car 4 times before and he seemed ok. he didn't recognise me in a different car!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Excellent Graham, working the system, i say i say, working the system :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dave j

Post by dave j »

went back this morning and got the mot,
told him that the shock absorber was infact a strut and that it was not leaking at all just dirty,he made his apologies and wrote out the ticket,
well wjen i say wrote it out they went computerised yesterday and what a carry on they could not issue it because the computer kept messing them about it took over an hour ,progress i think not!