Hydraulic fluid frothing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

robzondrumz wrote:What a day! have now taken the hydraulic pump off and it looks in excellent condition. No cracks, bearing good etc. I am getting close to scrapping the car, its an old L reg but engine is fine. Anymore last suggestions?

thanks

Rob
It could be the seal on the pump shaft, I think someone else here had a similar problem.... how much is another pump from a scrapyard ? And will they let you try it while you're there ?

Would be a shame to scrap a car because of this one problem. :(

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

Managed to get hold of a secondhand hydraulic pump this week so will try that when the rain stops! Also someone told me that it might be the pressure regulator. Dont want to waste time taking it off if there is no way it could be the problem. Any thoughts?
thanks
Rob
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

cannot be pressure regulator! All of it runs at very high pressure and so air could not get in there. It has to be pump fed hose or pump.

Have you tried substituting the pump feed hose for another?
jeremy
RohanC
My Cars:

Post by RohanC »

Double check the metal LHM feed pipe that goes into the pump is propely attached.

Mine wasnt! It literally fell off when i pulled the rubber pipe after loosening the clip. Yours could just be loose/not airtight as well.

I managed to glue mine back in with Epxoy resin and its fine now.
Sick 200k miles black Xantia TD... Now (mostly) fixed :) Now sold!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you have frothing in the LHM tank, then it is definitely, absolutely, 100% a problem with the pump sucking in air from somewhere.

As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, replace the pump suction line with some CLEAR hose, and you'll be able to see if the pump is sucking in air, or if air is being introduced actually within the pump.

If the LHM in the clear hose is bubble-free, and you still have air appearing in the tank, then the pump is shot. £20 for a breakers yard pump will (probably) fix that.

Or I'll give you £25 scrap value for the car.... :lol:
This is not a signature.
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

thanks for the replies.....someone got me a secondhand pump but its the wrong one!! Got 2 high pressure outlets not 1 like on the one I took off. Will pick up some clear hose tomorrow and try that, and if its clear of bubbles then I will get a new pump at the weekend. Thanks again, will let you know what happens

cheers

Rob
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

Lads,
Brilliant!......got a new hydraulic pump for £40 from breakers.....fitted and frothing fluid problem solved, also fitted a new suction hose to be sure. Thanks for all your help, will not have to scrap the old girl after all.

cheers

Rob
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Rob
I'm not familiar with the Xantia, but had a BX a few years ago. I would assume the only place for air to get in is going to be on the suction side of the system, which is going to be between the reservoir and the hydraulic pump.
If you are happy with the condition of the pump and have renewed the feed pipe (may be worth checking the pipe clips again, maybe rotating them on the pipe a little and retighten them), the only other place for air to get in is the fitting on the reservoir itself. Wouldn't have thought it very likely, but may be worth taking it off and checking for cracks (including the dip tube that goes into the reservoir fluid).

Good luck, hope you manage to sort it and keep her on the roada while longer!

Greg