306 Dturbo smokes on startup.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I checked that the glow plug system was working and found that there is a live feed to the glow plugs for about 30 seconds after the light has gone out on the dash.

F&F If I was down on compression would this be due to the piston rings etc, I'm a bit worried about if it is low compression as it would be an expensive repair, is it likely to be low compression on a 122000 mile engine that has been serviced at or before 6000 miles each time?

Also I had to have a new exhaust not long ago and I can safely say that the car hasn't got a CAT and never has had in the 4 years that I've owned it (It passes the emisions test with no problems and at the last MOT the tester comented that he hadn't seen a 306 DT with such low emisions).
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

pug_owner2002 wrote:I checked that the glow plug system was working and found that there is a live feed to the glow plugs for about 30 seconds after the light has gone out on the dash.
That's normal for any diesel engine. It keeps the plugs on, waiting for you to start the engine. After 30 seconds the plugs are turned off as the system assumes you're not going to start the engine, and prevents the battery going flat.

What's more important is whether there is still a feed to the plugs for several minutes after the engine is started. As mr pugxpert says, the system is there to reduce emissions after start up, but does also burn the glowplugs out faster than a car without this system.
pug_owner2002 wrote:F&F If I was down on compression would this be due to the piston rings etc, I'm a bit worried about if it is low compression as it would be an expensive repair, is it likely to be low compression on a 122000 mile engine that has been serviced at or before 6000 miles each time?
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it, even if you are a touch low on compression. It only really has an effect when you're starting the engine, as once started, the engine will barely loose any compression at all. I've had many XUD engines with rubbish compression, and as long as they don't get impossible to start, then it's no real problem.

Low compression can be caused by all sorts of things, like worn rings/bores, burned valve seats, incorrect valve clearances, slightly gone headgasket. etc.etc.

If the engine runs properly and gives good power and economy, then don't worry about it!
This is not a signature.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Thanks for that F&F.
The car does run realy well with good power and economy and isn't difficult to start (pretty much at the flick of the key) it's just the spluttering and smoke (which is worse on cold mornings).
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

hi pug owner,did you say that your dt has a bosch pump?? has it always had the poor start or only recently that the fault has developed? i remember that 405's and 306's around 96 model year had a poor starting problem from cold(worse when very cold)in that the engine would fire up and and run lumpy for a while then clear.there was a modified advance spring in fuel pump and the static pump timing was advanced from 0.66mm lift to 0.72 mm .this was for bosch pump only.
hope of some use if relevent. regards....... :wink:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi Pugxpert,

I'm not sure what fuel pump it fitted to my car.
I will have a look at the weekend.
It has been starting like this for while now, only noticed it when the weather went cold, it was fine during the summer.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi Just to add a point, I have a 405 TD Estate, one of the last made 186,000 on with fsh (I brag! LOL) and having had new injectors, glow plugs etc. what is most noticable is that I lose no oil between 6000 services but have the smokey start ups.

My garage have looked over and put it down to a leaky valve stem seal (worth pennies but hundreds to replace!!!) they say a little drip of all goes into pots and burns off on start up and advised leave till either it gets worse or the head comes off and replace all then.

Cheers

kev
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Well, I've bought and fitted some genuine peugeot (Beru) glow plugs and have to say the car fires up better and doesn't run as lumpy when cold.
It does however still smoke like its on fire, I can live with that though.
Cheers for all the replys.
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

I just fitted a bosch pump/pipes/injectors from a 405 94' to my 93 Xantia....in place of the lucas system.

Its now lumpy and smokey on start as mentioned here...

Thought this might be of interest, as my glowplugs have not been touched and worked perfectly before?
In this case then, the problem must like in the pump/injecors or fuel return pipes...and not in the glow plugs or due to compression.
Citroens have more spheres.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Check for air leaks in the system.....have you 'messed' with the fuel filter or leak off pipes recently. Sounds like air in the system to me, try using the priming bulb before starting and see if it improves,
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4