Xantia power steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andya
My Cars:

Xantia power steering

Post by andya »

Hi All
I have a 1995 Xantia 1.9D, totally gutless but Ok otherwise.
Except that the power steering is intermitant, generally when the car is cold and manouvering but it can happen while driving normally. Once warm its generally OK. The auxillary belt looks to be Ok and is tight.
Any Ideas?
Cheers
Andy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmm..this vintage ought not to have a flow distributor valve, or does it?
If there are two high pressure steel pipes from the top of the pump then it wont have.
If it has a FDV there are two small filters in it that can cause this type of havoc if they get blocked.
Check that there is enough LHM in it.
I had one of these and gave if some more guts with a turn of the transfer port screw, went up hills much better and returned better mpg.
Dave
Edited by - Dave Burns on 24 Nov 2002 20:19:42
andya
My Cars:

Post by andya »

Thanks Dave
where are the filters situated?
And the transfer port screw come to that?
Thanks
Andy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The filters I'm refering to are in the flow distributor valve, but its not yet clear if you car has one.
As mentioned earlier if there are two steel high pressure pipes pipes coming from the hydraulic pump then there will not be a flow distributor valve on your car.
The transfer port screw (Rotodiesel/Lucas) is at the back of the pump on the engine side, if previously untouched it will have a wire going through it with a lead seal on it.
Undo the locknut and screw it in half a turn (at your own risk by the way) then try it out, don't go more than one full turn or it will probably smoke too much.
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I have had a problem with my 93 TD Xantia too. Takes a while pumping up when cold, then steering going solid say mid turn and like that until warm. The answer is a tired pump. The suspension and brakes although High pressure don't rely on direct pressure from the pump but the steering does. In summer the fluid is warmer and therefore thinner so it flows easier.
Action to be taken:-
First, drain your lhm and replace with Hydroflush and run for around 4 - 6 weeks, you will feel the difference straight away as hydoflush is thinner, clean out the filters in your lhm resevoir with petrol but be carefull. Once you have run the car for 6 weeks replace all the hydroflush with new lhm and clean the filters again.
This may just do the job if your lucky, if not you will have to replace the pump and thats a simple job (I hope/think) but I will tell you in the next couple of days as that is what I am going to do on my car when I have logged of here
Paul