ZX engine bits

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ci_newman
My Cars:

ZX engine bits

Post by ci_newman »

Evening all

After my 1.9i Volcane threw a headgasket, I got myself a tidy 2.0i 8v version instead (Couldnt afford to be off the road and the car had just failed an MOT too)

Anyway, my main issue with the newer ZX (still a Volcane) is the gearbox. There is NO synchro left on 3rd gear. Now, I have a perfect and healthy gearbox in the older ZX but my main query is the difference in age / model. Older ZX is the 1.9i XU9, whereas the newer is the 2.0i XU10. Trusty haynes lists them as having a BE3 gearbox but naturally I dont want to strip them both down to find that they wont inter-change.

Secondly, the 2.0i is running a CAT exhaust system which is slowly developing a leak, whereas the 1.9i is DECAT but is in mint condition. Any ideas whether the downpipes or back boxes are the same and whether the ECU would cope in the newer ZX? Being that they are different engine codes, is it safe to assume the manifold is different too?

Finally, if you have any other useful comments as to what could be surrendered to the new car, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers in advance!

Chris
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The gearbox should fit, externally identical, perhaps small differences in ratios, fit a new clutch while your at it, de catting is best left to the petrolheads that haunt the forum :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Any ratio is going to be better than missing 3rd gear :?

Would a clutch kit include all of the main components I would need for the swap, i.e. clutch release bearings. Is it worth doing the clutch cable while I'm at it?

Then for my next trick, has anyone done a cambelt / headgasket change on an XU10 engine? Ive done it on a TU3 and a mini but the XU10s seem very much more enclosed!

Naturally, the tensioner will be done as a matter of course with the belt :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Clutch kit contains :
release bearing
friction plate
spring plate

Very wise to replace the crank seal behind flywheel while box is out anyway for clutch change. (I always do)

XU/XUD series engines are quite fun (not :roll: ) replacing cambelt and rollers. There are absolutely minimal space down there at end of engine against the inner wing. And you have the RHS engine support bracket to toss with too ...

Honestly : if you have to do the clutch and g/b anyway - its defo not that extra work supporting and moving the engine sidewards midbay and do the cambelt - before you do the clutch & g/b.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Ah, theres an idea!

The engines done 85k miles now, maybe its time for an overhaul and do the head gasket too... That way, the block will move SO much easier inside the engine bay (Sorry, that might seem a bit sarcastic, but Im quite genuine :))

As for the crankshaft seal, is that a hard job? Will the block have to be drained first? Could be a good time to reseal the sump too... (Slight leakage around the edges)

OO plans!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No need draining the block.
Undo the flywheel retaining bolts and remove flywheel. Jerk out old seal - fit new seal (though it can be a teaser to get it in squarely :roll: )
Remember threadlock compound on (correctly torqued) flywheel bolts.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No need draining the block.
Undo the flywheel retaining bolts and remove flywheel. Jerk out old seal - fit new seal (though it can be a teaser to get it in squarely :roll: )
Remember threadlock compound on (correctly torqued) flywheel bolts.