Too cold, so windows will not open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:My drivers side BX window was slow and reluctant to move from the day i got it some 6 1/2 years ago. I've been squirting it with silicon ever since and it lasts about 18 months between sprays! What surprised me was that it seemed slower in the wet than the dry - and I would have thought the water would have acted as a lubricant on the rubber.
Thats because water is not a lubricant. :wink:

In fact on some surfaces it can have the opposite effect, and cause more friction.

I remember reading some years ago about a spray on cleaner/lubricant for records that was supposed to improve playback noise, and the people testing it did microscope examinations of the surface of the LP after playing it.

The result was the spray on lubricant did seem to work and help clear out dust particles. Then as a control experiment they tried "lubricating" the record with the same amount of water. Result ? To their surprise the microscopic amount of water actually caused the needle to tear the grooves of the vinal to pieces - not visible to the naked eye, but seriously damaged when viewed under a microscope...

None of the other conventional thin lubricants they tried did the same damage as water.

(Non car related moral of the story - if you wash records never play them until they're completely dry :) )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

Andrew is correct.

Failing that, you could always pee on it if you're desperate to get the window open.

HTH
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

The Silicon Spray works a treat. Windows have opened with no problem since i smeared the rubbers with it, and this morning was -9°c :shock:

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I know how you guys feel.... If my window wouldn't wind down I'd probably throw a brick through the bloody thing .... You see recently it's been 42degrees C out there ... Winding down the window for some fresh furnace like air is an absolute necessity...

Now why on earth you guys would even want to wind down your windows when it's bloody freezing outside is beyone me :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Temperature

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well we Pome's are a bit eccentric. :D