Rear ABS sensor (Removal)(Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Rear ABS sensor (Removal)(Xantia)

Post by Nomad »

Hi

i have bought new sensors for my car, so i want to replace the ones that have gone.
Now i tried about a month ago to remove the sensors from a Xantia in the scrap yard, the rear ones were impossible to remove in one piece,
so ok i don't mind breaking the old ones, but are there any tips on how to get them out broken or not with out damaging the rest of the car.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I am afraid that brute force may be the only method. You could try warming up the back plate around the sensor, this will make the hole slightly larger, and applying some grease, but othere than that, I cant help. Maybe somebody else can.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I removed a set recently and they were pretty damn tight, I used a bit of heat as suggested, some WD40 around the edge to help get em started (left it a couple of hours to soak in) and a few light taps, even then it was really difficult.

Once you have the sensor unit removed you'll have the joy of threading the wire connector through the minute hole in the rear arm, that can be real easy or an absolute pig.

Good luck
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I managed to get one out of the back trailing arm on my TD BX (with ABS) which I understand is similar. Loads of WD40, oil and extensive levering, pulling and twisting. Took a very long time but I was anxious to keep it in one piece kust in case I could get it apart for repair.

In fact it was tougher than I thought and I did get it out but it was impossible for me to get it apart. I may have been able to open it with a hacksaw or something but decided that a new one was the best way to go.

The new one wasn't much easier to get in even after I'd filed any rust away from the hole.
jeremy
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Ok guys thanks for the tips, i will just make sure i have my lump hammer and a big blunt driver with me then. :D

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi,
Ive just replaced both rear suspension arms on my Xantia and had to ruin one of the abs sensors.No amount of lubrication,heat or twisting/pulling removed the dam thing.Ended up cutting it out with a small hacksaw.
The other side I again lubricated it ,twisted it ,pulled it,but decided to try out something different in that I have some long reach 3/8"(rachet size) sockets. I used (I think) a 10mm socket ,almost perfect size,and knocked the sensor out of its little hole.The sensor was very slightly deformed where was hit,but not damaged and fitted into the new suspension arm no problems.I coated the outside of the sensor with a thin film of copperslip grease to aid the removal of the sensor if I ever need to again in the future.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'