ZX rear fog light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

ZX rear fog light

Post by Village »

The car went its MOT today (which it failed) and came back with a list of faults including head light beam too high,rear tyres less than 1.6mm (but not really anywhere near the wear indicators) and a non-operative rear fog light.

I thought to myself that I could at least get the fog light working, so I whipped the lense off only to find that the bulb was ok. Next stop was fuse 11 (5 amp) which was also fine.

so the question is: where is the fault? The light on the switch illuminates when I turn on the fogs. no combination of ignition,lights or engine on or off seems to encourage the blighter to light up. even swearing and belting it makes no difference.

this could be the only thing that stops me from getting another years ticket!
French car free zone....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Missing rear fog would fail a MOT ?
- and a forgotten rear fog left on will give you a ticket ?
I'd try my luck somewhere else at next MOT ... :roll:

Back to the facts :
ZX (BX & CX) control switch pilot lights are powered from the OUTput of the switch. Indicating that the piloted function is in fact supplied power.
The power is then lost somewhere from the switch to the bulb.

Can be a chafed cable, corroded connector, dislodged connector, defective bulb holder, defective caravan connector, you name it, you trace it ... 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Have you checked for 12 volts at the terminals in the bulb holder for the fog light?

If you havent got voltage there then you need to follow the wiring back towards the switch till you find the problem.

Also is the terminal in the lamp holder touching the bulbs terminal?

Have you tried a known working bulb in there or checked the original bulb with a multimeter?
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I'll check the switch tonight after I've been swimming, I had disconnected the switches the other day when I took the dash apart to change the speedo (not swimming trunks) bulb. As for checking with a multimeter, that will have to wait until Friday (payday) for a resolution. I'll make sure that the contacts are contacting the bulb - hadn't thought of that one.

I'll keep you posted (because this is soooo exciting!!)

Pete
French car free zone....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

did you know to fit 'twin' rear fogs is a very easy mod on the ZX, you just make a hole in the reflector in the same place on the other side, fit a bulb, job done!

Sorry to hijack, you can have your thread back now :lol:
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

the socket is just sitting there unused?
French car free zone....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yup, all you need to do is make a hole in the reflector for the bulb. I thought this was a common mod???
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I have uncovered the socket on the nearside and fitted a bulb. However they still don't work!! :(

This lunch time I took the dash suround off and checked the switch. I plugged the front fogs into the rear fog switch and they worked so its not the switch. I checked the fuse again and its ok as is the bulb. I did notice a spare connector (brown, square with 2 spades and 2 blue wires), anyone got any ideas what it might be for and is it the root of my fog lamp woes?

Cheers

Pete
French car free zone....
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

maybe, could be where a tow bar was fitted?? best bet co around with a meter & see what voltages your getting, check the earth too.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ross has raised an interesting point which probably affects ZX as well as Xantias and BX. The official Citroen wiring for the towbar is rather elegant in that the foglights are switched to go out if a trailer is connected. this is generally done by a switched pin in the plug but what it means is that the circuit runs to the lighting socket and back. trouble is that the proper switched socket gets damaged, is replaced by an ordinary one - and - the car rear foglights don't work!

Easy way out is to remove the left hand (near side - passenger side in UK) rear light unit and unplug the trailer lights and replug the ordinary lighting system. Ultimately you can modify the wiring slightly to keep the fogs in the circuit all the time.
jeremy
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

just off to disconnect the tow electrics.

let you know how it goes in about 15 mins.........
French car free zone....
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

HUZZAH!! We have fog light lift off! :lol:

Thanks for the info fellas. This morning I had no fogs, now I have 2.

Sweet

Thanks again!

Pete :D
French car free zone....