XANTIA TD POOR STARTING - PRIMING FUEL FEED...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

XANTIA TD POOR STARTING - PRIMING FUEL FEED...

Post by andmcit »

Hi, I've had a reasonable scan through the old search option but I'm guessing the author/contributors in recent postings covering this thread will tell me faster than I'm going to find the info!!

When the pump needs priming through the manual bulb input, is the cause of the dropped pressure in the feed due to seals in the diesel pump or the secureness [or lack of it] of the feed piping etself?

Andrew
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

This is a common problem. If it starts OK after you have pumped the bulb so it goes hard the problem is where the return pipe rises up from the chassis area. It draws in air. If this is not the problem, check your heater plugs, then the fuel run off pipes attached to each injector, they should have a tight fit.
Cheers!
John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the bulb can be pumped several times before it gets hard - the basic problem is that fuel in the feed pipe from tank is flowing back to tank. This in turn is caused by a smallish air leak somewhere in the fuel feed line.
Could be a pin hole in rigid piping, hairline cracking on rubber hoses or a regular cracking on a stud over the pipe run.
Rarely you have a regular visible fuel leak, so the problem can be a nusiance to trace down.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would go with Anders. Check the injector leak off pipes.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Leakoff pipes will only cause bad starting or other running problems with a Bosch injection pump. Leakoff's on Lucas/CAV/Roto-diesel - simply make a mess and smell!
jeremy