zx subframe change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx subframe change

Post by 8304 »

Heloooo

About 6 months ago i stuck some 40mm lowering springs on the front of my zx td, with the intention on lowering the back by 40mm in due course. However, to my dissapointment after using a slide hammer and oxy - acetylene tourch trying to free one of the torsion bars of the bolt snapped off in the end putting an end to my plan to lower the back with the existing subframe. This left me with a zx that was soft and high at the back and low and hard on the front causeing problems with handling and looking rather odd!!

I noticed a zx 1.9I volcane at my local scrappy with discs on the back too so i thought "ill have that" i swaped the subframes yesterday (saturday) and was surprised at how much more beefy the volcane subframe was - torsion bars and dampers all looked much heavier. - i was also impressed with how simple it was compared to other bigger citroens as there was plenty of time in the day to remove from zx at breakers, spend about an hour and half farting about welding bits of metal to locking wheelnuts to get the wheels off and then freeing evrything off whilst on the floor - then removal of existing and fitting into my car and bleeding brakes so its drivable again.

Its definatly a more sporty setup and handles really well now - the old 1.8i subframe that was removed was far inferior and i am glad the the bolt snapped off in it becuase it has led to a much better subframe being fitted.

New pads and free the sliders off today then me thinks!!!!

cheers

Alastair
:D :lol:
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")