ABS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulbx
My Cars:

ABS

Post by paulbx »

My old BX TD did not have ABS but always pullled up straight. Best to buy a bood BX without ABS than a bad BX with working ABS.
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

ABS does add some safety, but I have driven for 50 years, most of them without it and personally think its more trouble than its worth. Having said that, it could, under the right circumstances, prevent an accident, you have to weigh this up against the likely cost of it going wrong.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

ABS is a superb aid to better and safer driving. Its function is not to save you from reckless driving habits. It has a simple use, which is to allow you to steer more safely when your wheels lose traction. The system does no more than allow the brakes to applied and re applied several times a second during a loss of adhesion to the road surface.
Hopefully the result is that you will be able to steer and avoid excessive skidding.
Peter, I have driven cars with cable brakes! so ABS is an essential piece of kit in emergencies and is now a standard fitting on new cars?
Cheers!
John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

John

I to have experienced cable brakes and never new quite what direction you would head in when applying them! Hydraulic were a great improvement. I agree that ABS does give a measure of safty, but if you are motoring on a tight budget, you are constantly worrying about it going wrong, especially at MOT time!

Peter.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've had a Xantia with ABS and a Xantia without and the one with ABS inspires much more confidence at times. Without ABS I press the brake pedal until the wheels lock and know thats how much braking I've got. With ABS I press the pedal and because it doesn't lock the wheels I find myself pressing the pedal harder to get more brakes because you sort of feel that the ABS is working against you and because the wheels haven't locked there is more braking to be had! I think that comes from learning without ABS ;)